Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2007 14:00

Desktop icons changing size on their own

The icons that I have on my desktop change size (become smaller) for no reason that I can see.  I set them by right click on desktop/View/Classic Icons.  When I notice that they have become smaller, I reset them to Medium Icons and back to Classic Icons and then rearrange them as they were before the magic-icon-size-changing-gremlin visited.

Any suggestions?

Message Edited by sam_i_am on 03-21-2007 09:38 AM

Sorry I don't have a .
         Jerry

Don't know why my reply didn't show up.  In short, my desktop does the same thing and I don't think the .
       Jerry

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 21st, 2007 16:00

I just posted something about erratic desktop icon behavior. I am having the opposite problem. My icons ballon to jumbo size. I figured out that the cause was Microsoft's IntelliType software. If you have either IntelliType or IntelliPoint that might be your problem.

42 Posts

March 21st, 2007 17:00

I searched for IntelliType and Intellipoint and could not find it.  I also looked for it in the Control Panel/uninstall program.

How would I find it?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 21st, 2007 18:00

You may not have it installed. If that is the case then your problem is something else entirely. If you had either of the two programs installed you would know it b/c you would have installed them yourself. Do you use a microsoft mouse or keyboard? The software comes on a CD in the box with either of the two products.

42 Posts

March 21st, 2007 20:00

I have a Dell mouse and keyboard and I can not find any software that indicates it is MS products so my problem must be something different.  Thanks for the info, though.

March 22nd, 2007 14:00

It seems my problem is fixed.  (Hope this post completes)  Here's what I did.  I went to Dell's "Drivers and Download" site and tried downloading the latest drivers, especially for my video.  That did not help and trying to figure out which ones I needed took time.  I finally went to my Control Panel and Device Manager and updated every single driver shown there.  It took a while but in the end, even though I thought that all my drivers were up to date, six of them needed newer drivers, including the video! 

If you are unfamiliar with this process, go to your Device Manager and right click on the drivers you want to update and choose (while being connected to the Internet) "update driver software".  This will automatically search the Internet for the latest drivers.  If an update is needed, it will download them automatically.  Kind of fool proof and gee, looks like that's what I needed. 

It seems to me that this process would search the Internet (and hopefully the manufacturer's website) and I hope that helps.  P.S.  I would go through every driver on the list if I were you.

Jerry
No Events found!