Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2008 18:00

Device Manager - PCI Device?

On my Dimension 8400 I upgraded the Video Card to ATI HD2400.  I did a clean install by deleting the other driver (ATI X300) first.  Installation went without a hitch, the card works great.  I notice in the Device Manager an unrecognized PCI Device.  If I uninstall it, upon next boot it will look for a driver, not find any and the question mark comes back. 

Looking at other threads, this card has no sound output and the Dim 8400 is using an integrated sound card. 

Please help, John

4.4K Posts

May 1st, 2008 22:00

Please disregard, misread the question.

Message Edited by europa303 on 05-01-2008 07:38 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 1st, 2008 23:00

Did you try reinstalling the audio driver? The 8400 actually came with a choice of on-board audio, a SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit audio card or a SoundBlaster Audigy card. Drivers for on-board and Audigy audio are both here

Unfortunately, the driver for the SoundBlaster Live! card has been missing from the Dell site for eons, so if that's what you have, look for a SoundBlaster driver CD that came with the system or go to the Creative site to find it.

Ron 

95 Posts

May 2nd, 2008 02:00

it could also be a modem driver unless you already installed it's driver.  is there any details for tha pci device?

what are the cd's that you have?  if you have a dimension resource cd, look for an audio driver.

1.7K Posts

May 2nd, 2008 17:00

The generic list of drivers for the Dimension 8400 is:

Dell Desktop System Software

RAID (if using it)

Intel 925 Express chipset

Broadcom network card

Video drivers

Audio drivers

any other hardware you have added

Out of all of them, the Desktop System Software not being installed is the most likely cause of that entry in Device Manager (unless you are missing another driver).  This, of course, assumes you've done a complete reinstall of the OS at some point in the past. 

317 Posts

May 2nd, 2008 20:00

Ok here is what I did: Re-installed the audio driver from Dell Solutions for my computer. - No luck.

There is no modem.  Internet is through LAN RJ-45

There are no details what this is.

I deleted all the new ATI drivers, removed the card and replaced with the old ATI X300 with the drivers.  The PCI device ?  went away.  Put back in new ATI HD2400 installed the driver and the question mark returns.

I used the driver that came with the disk and the new one from the web site, still the question mark.

The driver for the new video card is under Display Adapters.

Hope the link below works. 

Device Manager pdf

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 2nd, 2008 23:00

Did you uninstall the drivers from the old card before installing the new one? Have you tried installing the new driver (after removing the old one) in Safe Mode? Maybe you need to run Omega's free Driver Cleaner (if you can still find it on the net) to get rid of all remnants of the x300 driver before you install the new driver.

Is the new video card PCI or PCI-e x16? If it's PCI, not PCI-e, you need to run BIOS setup and change the video card setting from PEG to PCI, save the change and exit setup. Even if it is PCI-e, you might want to check BIOS setup anway, just to make sure it's set correctly.

Could it be a bum video card? :(

Ron 

317 Posts

May 3rd, 2008 15:00

It is a PCIe Express 16 card (same as the old one).  I never changed the BIOS, it is set at PCI.

Clean: ATI as an Uninstall Software listing in the ADD/REMOVE

Googled this problem and many others have this problem.  It may be a problem with ATI.  I find it odd that when I reverted back to the old card with the old software the ? went away.

May have to give up on this since it doen't use any resources and there is no problem with any parts of the computer. 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 3rd, 2008 21:00

BIOS should be set to PEG (not PCI) on the 8400 in order to use a PCI-e x16 video card.

Since the old card works, it sure sounds like the new one is bum or the driver is buggy. Suggest you contact ATI for assistance.  

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 05-03-2008 03:36 PM

317 Posts

May 5th, 2008 20:00

I was mistaken. The BIOS is set to PEG (PCI Express Graphic)

Also noticed that with the old card in the Device Manager under Display Adapters there were two listed. It showed X300 and X300 secondary.

The new one shows HD2400 and PCI Device !   which I set to disable.

I currently have a ticket with ATI

Thanks Ron for your time, I will just live with it and next time buy nVidia.

John

317 Posts

May 5th, 2008 23:00

ATI sent me two links that fixed the PCI Device problem.

1.- Microsoft UAA HDMI Audio Class System Driver

2.- ATI HDMI Audio Driver

Notes: The links are from ATI only.  Seems Microsoft leaves up to the vendor to give out the driver.

So now everything is OK.

Thanks again

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 6th, 2008 00:00

:)
No Events found!