Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2009 10:00

Disable Touchpad

I have XP on a Lattitude and I want to disable the touchpad. I also have an Inspiron with XP and it is very simple to disable . I cannot find out to disable the touchpad. Will someone help me? Thanks for your help.

Dee

• 

16.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 12:00

llorcie,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Click on the mouse properties in Control Panel. From there under the Device Select tab choose to Disable Device under Touch Pad.

52 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 18:00

I don't have this function on the Lattitude, that is why I'm having a problem. I put my Inspiron right beside the Lattitude with the mouse propertieds open and the functions are different. I can't find the touchpad on the Lattitude. Any other suggestions. Thanks for your help,

Dee

1.7K Posts

January 27th, 2009 07:00

llorcie you might have to make sure you have the Dell QuickSet software installed.  I had to use the mouse properties section of QuickSet to disable the touchpad on my Latitude D630.

4.6K Posts

January 27th, 2009 09:00

I don't have this function on the Lattitude, that is why I'm having a problem. I put my Inspiron right beside the Lattitude with the mouse propertieds open and the functions are different. I can't find the touchpad on the Lattitude. Any other suggestions.

You MUST have the official Synaptics Touchpad drivers from the Dell website installed Dee, else the 'Dell Touchpad' tab will not show in the mouse configuration window :emotion-55:

If Larry-R's advice about the Dell QuickSet software doesn't change anything, try this:

Once the drivers are installed, open Control Panel --> Mouse --> Dell Touchpad.
Click on the large screen with an arrow, which will open the touchpad configuration window.
Click on 'Device Select', and right at the bottom is a box which you can tick to 'Disable Touchpad/Pointing Stick when a USB mouse is connected.
As soon as you tick that option, a message will pop up in the taskbar, confirming your selection.

You can make doubly sure however, by also choosing 'Disable' under the Touchpad' heading in the same window.

Be sure to click 'Apply' once you've made your selections.

1.7K Posts

January 27th, 2009 13:00

You MUST have the official Synaptics Touchpad drivers from the Dell website installed...

Yeah, I was assuming this was the case.  If it isn't, TRF is right and you'll need to get the latest driver from the Drivers & Downloads page on support.dell.com.

52 Posts

January 30th, 2009 19:00

FTI I finally got my problem solved today. I called Dell tech support and I didn't  have a driver installed for my touchpad. Now that I have the driver, it disables just like the Inspiron.

Thanks for all your help.

Dee

4.6K Posts

February 1st, 2009 14:00

... I didn't have a driver installed for my touchpad. Now that I have the driver, it disables just like the Inspiron.

As I thought. 

Glad you've got it sorted now Dee :emotion-21:

PS:  You can mark the thread itself 'Solved' now as well :emotion-5:

No Events found!