Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DW

January 25th, 2010 03:00

Disabling DELL software

On a 64bit Windows 7 machine:

How do I tell my computer NOT to run DELL PC-Tune-up and DELL Data Safe in future when it boots up?

[Since I got my new computer, crucial files have been disappearing on a regular basis.  It has never happened on my umpteen previous DELL computers, and something is doing this in the background.   The above are my prime suspects.   The files in question are C++ header files from the software I'm developing and I'm losing hours and hours of work time constantly having to retrieve them from the back-up.]

David Webber

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

January 25th, 2010 03:00

Hi David, Click on the start button, and in the search type msconfig, then click on it, then click on the  startup tab and remove the ticks from the software you don't want to start up  when the system starts.

January 25th, 2010 04:00

Hi David, Click on the start button, and in the search type msconfig, then click on it, then click on the  startup tab and remove the ticks from the software you don't want to start up  when the system starts.

Thanks Rob,

On the list of start-up programs, I found  "DELL Data Safe On Line"  but not  "DELL Data Safe local backup" which both sit in my system tray, and no sign of  "DELL PC Tuneup" (which just pops up from time to time).    Nor do these last appear on the list of "services" (which I'm more nervous about disabling anyway).

I have unchecked "Data Safe On Line" and also "Dell Support Center Updates" but I can't find where PC Tuneup (my main suspect) starts from.   Any ideas?

David Webber

4.6K Posts

January 25th, 2010 08:00

I can't find where PC Tuneup (my main suspect) starts from.   Any ideas?

Open PC Tuneup, and see if there's a 'Start with Windows' option you can un-tick?

If not, try a free program called Revo Uninstaller.

Although it's primarily an uninstaller program, it has a few other useful features, among which - in its 'Tools' menu, is an 'Autostart Manager', in which you can disable programs which start with Windows :emotion-5:

No Events found!