Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2008 15:00

Disk Cleanup deleting Vista OS

Hi everyone, here's a good one.

This has also happened on my 530s along with this 1720 laptop.

I'll run the "Disk Cleanup" and in it I will get a

"Per user queued Windows Error Report". That's fine I usually go to the Problems & Solutions section, see what's in there and delete it. But every once in awhile the size of it will tip me off. it will be about 100GB. :smileysurprised:

The 100GB that it wants you to get rid of is your Vista OS. Yup if you put a check mark in the boxes, your icons disappear and poof, factory restore here I come. This can't be normal. Because I'll also go to the problems and solutions section and nothing is listed. Something is dumping it in there. This has happened before and after SP1.

Any ideas what happening or how it can be corrected. When the Vista OS is queued in there, the disk cleanup now takes about 3 - 4min to finish instead of the usual 30 sec because of the size. The only way I can get rid of it is to do a factory restore.

Thanks in advance.

984 Posts

August 4th, 2008 17:00

You will find good information on the probable cause of this problem at this link.

8 Posts

August 4th, 2008 20:00

You mentioned "factory settings". If you're using your Dell disc, this won't help. If you're restoring to original configuration and this is still happening, then Microsoft level2 help is needed. To get past level1, talk a lot of "tech trash". They won't understand and you'll be referred sooner. Since SP1 help is free, use that as an entree'.

984 Posts

August 5th, 2008 01:00

Glad to hear it solved your problem. Agree with you on the quality of the blog.

48 Posts

Corday, thanks for the reminder.

I was thinking the same thing, I was like aww heck, MS is just gonna tell me to go to Dell because Dell is the OS's OEM. But your right, if Sofu's post above didn't fix my problem I was gonna do like you say and just mention to MS that this happened after the SP1 update.

:smileyvery-happy: Thats one way around the OEM problem, I'll have to remember your idea in the future

Thanks Many

48 Posts

:smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you so very much John, the article you linked here "Hit it on the Head".

I was so mad that this was happening again I had forgotten that I had just done a registry cleanup just before this happened. Back in Dec 2007 I was using (along with desktop maestro) RegistryFix (v6.0). This problem was happening back then. Then they updated RegistryFix(v6.4) and I never had this problem. Now yesterday they did another update to RegistryFix (7.0) and the old problem is back. Apparently their version 6.4 had it right but version 7.0 messed up again. I went to registryFix and restore the backup it did yesterday and restarted my computer and did a "Disk Cleanup" and *POOF* my OS is no longer listed as to be deleted.

Many, many thanks John.

oh I liked that blog you have linked. I subscribed to the e-mail.

:smileyhappy:

No Events found!