Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 13th, 2009 12:00

Doing Wipe Install with Dell Reinstall Disks with Windows 7

I purchased a new Dell XPS 8000 that came with Windows Home Pro 7 disks.  Using the key supplied for

Windows 7, is there any reason I can't wipe my HDD, repartition and reinstall/activate with this

key?  I'd like to repartition and remove some of the preinstalled S/W that I had no choice

but to accept on my order.  Agggg....

184 Posts

November 13th, 2009 13:00

smr2112,

Thank you for contacting the Dell Community Forums.  If you received a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium with your new system, then there's no reason you couldn't use that disc to reinstall your operating system, including deleting or formatting partitions if necessary.  Note that you will probably need to reinstall some drivers after completing the Windows installation, as there are still some drivers out there that are not native to Windows 7.

184 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 11:00

smr2112,

I was referring to the reinstallation disc that comes with the computer--it contains the full version of Windows 7, and is really the same OS you would find on a Microsoft disc.   If you reinstall from the Dell reinstallation disc, you shouldn't be prompted for a a Windows 7 product key, but if you are, the key from the sticker on your computer should work fine.

34 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 11:00

When you say "full version of Windows 7 Home Premium" - do you mean the reinstall disk that comes

with the computer or a full Windows 7 disk purchased elsewhere?

Will either way work with the Windows 7 key that attached to the computer via a Microsoft sticker?

re

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 14:00

You do ;) its just in a different place. See my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7, it will tell you everything.

Perform the additional Step 7 with DBAN for a complete format (The Windows Format is much weaker).

You neglicted these screens here:

However read through the wiki properly, download all you need onto external media and install in the recommended order as per my wiki.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2011 14:00

I need the procedure to do a wipe reinstall from dell mreinstall DVD.... I've tried booting from DVD as I have done with XP but I am not offered the opportunity to format and repartition HDD....HELP

No Events found!