Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2013 13:00

Downgrade from W8 to W7

Hello, I recently upgrade to Windows 8 and had freeze when plugged in issue. I was able fix the issue after almost 2 weeks of googling (by changing the power setting to high performance).

Now I want to know how I could downgrade from W8 to W7. Points to note:

• I upgraded to W8 from W7 using the online offer, didn't buy the laptop with W8.
  • I have a windows image backup saved in my external hard drive. I also have another set of back ups its called a backup set (Backup Set 2013-01-20 190002) with one of those green arrow icon folder. I have no idea how this is different to the windows image backup.
  • I don't have a W7 disc.

I have googled so much without any luck.

Can you help please?

R

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 24th, 2013 13:00

Follow this tutorial A Clean install of Windows 7/Windows Reinstallation Guide which is located here:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Locate your COA, likely under the battery of your system. Write down the 25 digit product key and the version of Windows 7 (it will likely be 64 bit Home Premium).

See page 279-281 of the guide to download retail media or page 276 to request the Reinstalaltion DVD from Dell. Page 6-57 will guide you through the installation of Windows 7 including phone activation to Microsoft (not Dell). the phone activation isn't required if a Dell Reinstallation DVD is used.

If you have any problems with the installation let me know. Otherwise if this answers your query could you please mark it as a verified answer.

Thanks

2 Posts

February 24th, 2013 14:00

Man that was quick. I didnt expect such a quick answer. I will follow the guide. I dont have the disc. I will need to request it.

thanks for the comprehensive guide again.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 24th, 2013 21:00

You're very welcome. I have been working on the guide for quite some time in order to make OS reinstallation as painless as possible.

Lack of media is the main problem at the moment for reinstallation which I am addressing on ideaStorm and various polls. Its also why the guide documents the unofficial solution of using retail .isos and phone activation to Microsoft for Windows Vista/7.

No Events found!