Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2011 08:00

Duplicate drivers; which folder(s) can I delete?

I want to free up space on my hard drive, so I ran a duplicate files finder.

I have several duplicate copies of (large) driver files.  I would think that I only need one.  One of the folders with drivers is c:\drivers.  I use Windows 7, so I imagine I need that folder.  I also have folders with some duplicate drivers:  \documents\double driver backup and \dell\drivers. 

Do I need those last two?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2011 09:00

You should keep the c:\drivers.  You can delete the others, but if you need to delete because you are running low on hard drive space you really need to install a larger hard drive.  Considering the price of hard drives, now, there is no reason to have to delete, etc, because of drive space.

1 Message

March 28th, 2013 09:00

Hello,

You can try "duplicate file deleter.com" to find and delete all duplicate file by one click.Thanks.

2.5K Posts

March 28th, 2013 10:00

In Windows 7 standard configuration "c:\Drivers" is not the default driver location, in fact it is not a standard windows directory.  A simple check is to compare the creation date/time with it and directories like "c:\windows" or "c:\program files (x86)"  I for one remove nothing, unless you are running out of disk space.  One possibility is Dell added that directory.

April 27th, 2017 18:00

I use a software called Duplicate Files Deleter, it's very easy to use and after it finds the duplicate files it lets you chose what you want to do with them (copy/delete/move). You can even check network files and you can check multiple paths in the same scan.

No Events found!