Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2011 21:00

Dying Hard Drive

My Dell XPS 8100 has been in my possession for approximately 18 months and it appears as though the hard drive is failing. I can no longer access the back-up options or do any system restores or create restore points.

I am going to have to purchase a new HDD to replace the failing one. I believe I created two Dell System Recovery Disks on DVD after I received my PC. Is this all I would need to start fresh with the new hard drive?

Also in my possession are the only two disks I ever received from Dell. One is called Drivers and Utilities: Already installed on your computer. The other is called Drivers and Documentation for the Dell SP2309W Flat Panel Monitor.

I've never had to replace a hard drive before so any advice, assistance or input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 27th, 2011 07:00

Mark,

When I created my disks(Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create) it took two DVD's

Restart your computer and press F2 and enter the bios. Look for boot sequence. Make it...

CD/DVD rom

HDD Hard drive

removable devices (usually usb)

network

Save changes and exit.

After you install the new hard drive, INSTRUCTIONS HERE, you should be able to put in disk 1 and start the computer and it should start installing on it's own, then follow the instructions.

If you live in the United States, then Request Backup Disks USA If in another Country, Contact Dell Tech Support in your Country. Tell them the Hard drive is failing, that way they'll send you the disks you need.

It sounds like you have no media disk, too. Then you would need to use Internet Explorer, go to My Dell Downloads :: Login same email address and password you use here, click on add system and all the media is available for download.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 27th, 2011 04:00

Bundy68,

Run the full diagnostics to be sure it the hard drive.

How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

If your computer is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support.

If you made the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create then you should be ok to install on a new hard drive.

The procedure is...

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Rick

9 Posts

November 27th, 2011 06:00

Thanks for the reply Rick.

I failed to mention that I have already found bad clusters during a previous scan which is what tipped me off that the drive is likely failing. I also had to replace the power supply unit which failed on me causing freezing issues. After the new one was installed the freezing stopped but my system became sluggish at times and also lost the ability to do back-ups and system restores. I tried running the Dell Scan last night but it just kept closing before running the scan.

The new HDD is likely my best option at this point but my concern over how to get my copy of Windows 7 off the HDD partition was my main issue. What good is a new HDD without an OS? But if those recovery disks I made a long time back contain the copy of Windows 7 then I guess I should be OK, provided I can figure out how to use them. :emotion-1:

Mark

9 Posts

November 27th, 2011 09:00

Rick

Thanks for the links and advice.

I have a new iMac which has kept me from losing my sanity over the issues with my Dell PC and I hope to install a new hard drive and start fresh in the New Year if all goes well. I have some things on the current HDD that I need until then, provided the drive doesn't die completely on me beforehand.

Do you have any suggestions for what type of HDD I should purchase as a replacement. I've only ever purchased External HDD's. I was looking at this one but honestly don't have a clue: Western Digital Caviar Black

Thanks again for the help.

Mark

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 27th, 2011 14:00

Any standard SATA desktop drive will work just fine -- assuming it's for the Dell XPS 8100.

If it's for the iMac, leave the drive replacement to Apple.  Removing the screen (requires a set of suction cups) isn't for the faint of heart, but is required to replace a drive.  The potential for damage (not covered by the Apple warranty) is very high.

9 Posts

November 27th, 2011 16:00

No it's just the PC I'm having the issues with. My iMac is less than 2 weeks old and is running very well so far. It is a different beast however. :-)

No Events found!