Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2010 18:00

E1705 and Windows 7

I have seen some posts about Windows 7 and the E1705 and I'm wondering if anyone can give me the latest update as to whether I can go for it.

I list exactly what I have below (although I upgraded the RAM to 4gb and it uses something like 3.2 GB, and I am now on Windows Vista Ultimate).  I think I'm skepticle that this laptop can't make it to Win 7 because they told me I couldn't get more RAM to work when all I had to do was buy it and it worked perfect.  That really got me mad because I had it for a long time without more RAM even though I could do it.  So forgive me if I don't trust blanket "can't be done statements."  I like to know why and challenge assumptions until I know for sure.

I'm an IT guy so I'm comfortable doing some heavy lifting to get Windows 7 to work; and I've already purchased Win 7 Pro.  So despite Dell not listing this PC as Windows 7 compatible, can it be done?  If not, what is the detailed technicle reason?    Can I go to part manufactures websites and get drivers there if DELL doesn't provide them?

Thanks,

Keith

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 MJ450 Processor, MEROM, T7200, 2.0, 4MB Direct Current, Burn 2
  •  
  • 1 NC929 Keyboard, 87, United States ENG, SINGLE POINTING..., D Plus Series
  •  
  • 1 DF771 CORD..., Power, 125, 1M, C7, 2P Dual, United States
  •  
  • 1 JP969 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., DELL MEDIA DIRECT..., 3, VSTA, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE...
  •  
  • 1 DF266 Assembly, Adapter, Alternating Current, 90W, MOBILE 2007..., Lead Free Liteon
  •  
  • 1 D5551 Battery, Primary, 11.1V, 9C Lithium, SIMPLO
  •  
  • 1 PN182 KIT..., Software, Works, 8.5 English
  •  
  • 1 NC293 Card, Network, Minicard, 3945ULD Dell Americas Organization
  •  
  • 1 CW725 Card, Wireless, Internal Bluetooth, 355, Windows Vista Os
  •  
  • 1 FW755 Liquid Crystal Display, 17, WideExtended Graphics Array Plus VESA, Samsung, True Life
  •  
  • 1 XU670 Assembly, Cable, Coaxial, Liquid Crystal Display, 17 Zanzibar/rikers/suva, V2
  •  
  • 1 DT610 Assembly, DVD=/-RW, 8X, NEC CORPORATION..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO...
  •  
  • 1 JW762 Kit, Software, Overpack, VHP32 Digital Video Disk Drive English
  •  
  • 1 TU741 Hard Drive, 160GB, Serial Ata 9.5, 5.4, W080
  •  
  • 2 JP210 Dual In-Line Memory Module 1GB, 667, 128X64, 8K, 200
  •  
  • 1 DG008 Card, Graphics, 256MB, I9400 G71
  •  
  • 1 YD479 ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., 10/100, 9400, DISCRETE...

5.2K Posts

February 7th, 2010 22:00

You should have no problems with Win 7 and the E1705. My wife's installed (upgrade from Vista) faster than with my XPS 1530, and I didn't need to uninstall anything. The XPS needed 6 programs uninstalled. You didn't state which flavor you are going with, 32- or 64-bit. As far as I'm concerned, the upgrade, which is a lot easier, is a good way to go if you don't change the flavor.

Nice to hear another successful 4GB RAM installation. I may do that some day, although my wife doesn't like me playing with 1705.

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 08:00

I took the plunge and installed WIN 7 Home Premium 64 bit on my E1705 about a month ago.  It is wonderful! My computer has never performed so well! 

I previously had XP Pro.  I too am an IT pro, but it really went quite smoothly.  I still have the original hardware configuration with 2 GB of RAM and that seems adequate. I'm disappointed in Dall for not listing this machine as WIN 7 compatable and putting all of the drivers together for us.  Their business model must be to hope customers just buy a new computer.  I found that most of the MS drivers work well, or to go ahead and use Vista drivers.  I have found WIN 7 to be quite forgiving.

I recommend using the MS migration tools.  They make moving quite easy.  I did have a small issue trying to delete a user account I decided I no longer wanted after the move.  I called Microsoft, and they were glad to help.  (They ended up deleting it in the registry for me).

I am so happy with WIN 7, I have ordered it for my husband's 9 year old  Dell Dimension 8100 desktop.  I think it will only help this machine, as it it is really only used for the Internet now.

Best of luck!

Michael

No Events found!