Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

July 4th, 2007 13:00

E520 upgrade Vista home premium -- No Sound!

Hey guys, I just recently upgraded my Dimension e520 from Windows XP Media Center edition, to Windows Vista Home premium edition. The upgrade went smooth, took only 45 minutes from inserting the upgrade CD, to looking at the Vista welcome menu. I've encountered 1 issue that I need I could really use some help with. I can't get the audio to playback out of my speakers, whereas they worked fine in XP. I have tried following the advice of some other individuals on the forum who've experienced the same issue, but I'm not having any luck. I have uninstalled the SigmaTel Audio driver that was being blocked, and Vista auto-recognized and installed a new driver (Home Premium Audio driver) for the program. I tried upgrading the driver to the new SigmaTel driver provided by Dell from the following link, but Vista states that the Driver is up to date. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=284A36D51B8B897AE040A68F5B285AE4 Thanks in advance for any help, AH

2.4K Posts

Hi
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R157052&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_E520&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=3&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=209657

From Chris

My computer
Dell Dimension 1100
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP 2
512 MB of Ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
HDD WDC WD800BB-75JCO 80GB C:
HDD Samsung SV2042H 20GB F:
TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C D:
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S E:
Linksys wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4

my security software
VCOM SystemSuite 7 Professional
Windows Defender

1.9K Posts

Do you have the small speaker on the lower right corner???
Right click on it and click on playback devices
You should see Speakers headphones, if you don't see it right click on an empty space and click on show disabled devices if the Speakers/Headphones option, right click it and click on enable.
If by any chance you are seeing a second option like Digital output or something similar (basically two or more options), rigth click on the speakers option and select setup as default.

35 Posts

July 4th, 2007 16:00

I had this problem and tried loads of suggestions. None worked. I eventually went to driversguide.com (have to sign up, bit of a pain) and downloaded a Sigmatel driver dated June 2004. Installed it and had to plug my speaker jack into the socket next to where it was. But, it worked!

4 Posts

July 5th, 2007 01:00

Hey guys I've tried all of your suggestions, to no avail.. I can get sound to play from the speakers if I plug the jack into the headphone jack...? I've upgraded to the driver in the link provided above. I've also clicked on the speaker in the lower right corner and it has headphones/speakers with a green check next to it. Anymore suggestions? Thanks again for the help guys, AH

35 Posts

July 5th, 2007 04:00

Forgot to add that if you tried my suggestion, I uninstalled the current driver in device manager/rebooted/installed the old driver. A google search should throw up some other methods people have tried. Let us know how you got on.

51 Posts

July 5th, 2007 13:00

Not sure if this applies to you, but it's a link to a previous post about this and the driver that worked for me and a couple other people.

Someone else also mentioned going into control panel>system and havin Vista search for updated drivers even though the properties showed everything working fine.
No Events found!