Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 25th, 2008 14:00

EISA configuration Partition

Good Afternoon all,

I have seen other posts regarding EISA partitions, with the advice to leave it alone as it is small and isn't doing anyone any harm.

This post is a little different. I am required to use some software on my Dell D430 laptops which has to have two partitions. No more, no less. The EISA partition is preventing me from being able to utilise this software and I need to delete it. I've not needed an EISA partition on other manufacturers laptops and I'm not sure why Dell insists on having one on theirs.

Any thoughts on how to delete this partition without having to re-install the Vista O/S?

Thanks,

Message Edited by Pareto on 06-25-2008 10:13 AM

1.9K Posts

June 26th, 2008 10:00

Go to "Administrative Tools" and then "Disk Managment"... You can delete the EISA Partition from there.

pcgeek11

6 Posts

June 26th, 2008 10:00

Dear PCGeek11,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried that and I am unable to delete this partition through the snap-in. If I right click on the partition I just get an option of Help (compared to that of the C: drive where I can do a host of tasks such as shrink volume etc.).

I also attempted to delete the partition by re-installing the O/S, using the re-installation DVDto repartition the HDD, but the partition does not appear in the list.

I contacted Dell support via Live Chat (a nice chap called phil) who were similarly foxed and have promised to get back to me on Monday.

Any other thoughts in the meantime are gratefully received.

Cheers,

P.

14.4K Posts

June 26th, 2008 11:00

The ESIA partition is a hold back from the early days of hard disk partitioning. I believe that the only way to delete it would be with a 3rd part software like partition magic or such

Here's a link i found by googling "deleting a ESIA partition"

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/29/delete-and-remove-to-unlock-eisa-hidden-recovery-or-diagnostic-partition-in-vista/

Message Edited by Davet50 on 06-26-2008 08:43 AM

6 Posts

June 26th, 2008 14:00

Thanks Dave, that was very helpful. I've managed to delete it using diskpart (mentioned in the link you gave) and now have 95Mb of unallocated space.

My only problem now is that this unallocated space sits before my main partition and therefore can't be incorporated into it according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415.

Look like I will have to re-install Vista to repartition. But at least I have got rid of the EISA partition.

6 Posts

June 27th, 2008 08:00

Update:

Booted up the laptop this morning to find a message that Bootmgr is missing so I guess that must have been on the EISA partition. So I'm having to re-install Vista and apply all the changes that I made earlier in the week.:smileysad:

Nothing's ever simple!!

14.4K Posts

June 27th, 2008 16:00

You didn't need to do a complet reinstall just a repair..

No Events found!