Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2005 00:00

End Program - Sample on Inspiron 600M

Greetings
The issue is that during shutdown, the End Program - Sample window comes up and the usual end program clicks are done.  When trying to reboot, the hard drive seems to get into a loop of just clicking noises and XP never finishes booting.  I can only reboot in Safe Mode, but this only allows limited functions.
I have reviewed all the message boards I can find and done general internet searchs to eliminate this problem.  I have also completed System Restore to dates prior to this problem and before Service Pack 2 install.
If anyone can please direct me to a previous discussion or a link that offers a solution path, please let me know.:smileysad:

3 Posts

August 18th, 2005 12:00

Have you installed any new hardware or software on your computer? When booting up count the number of beeps, your listening for more than one beep! If thats fine then go through your boot sequence step by step and look for errors while loading the hardware, software etc.

numerion

23 Posts

August 28th, 2005 18:00

I have a similar problem. When I shut down the program goes to Sample, and displays end program window. It started happening recently. Previously when I shut down the computer used to shut down without displaying this window. I could not locate the program that does this. Where did this Sample come ffrom?

Thanks for any help.

Rajkumar

3 Posts

August 28th, 2005 19:00

Greetings

What we found out for this 600M was that some sectors of the hard drive had been corrupted.  We backed up all the important datas; Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Address Books, Bookmarks, etc. to CDs and had to install a new hard drive.  The problem eventually got worse and worse and the system would not even boot.  We tried to do a recovery by fixing the sectors using the hard drive scan disk, but that really killed it.  SO, recommend doing a full backup, maybe even image your hard drive to an external using Acronis.  This was our situation,replacing hard drives are never fun, but if you image all your drives it makes it a bit easier.

Best of Luck

3 Posts

August 28th, 2005 19:00

Hello and thanks for the inputs.  We used scan disk recovery to try and resolve the issue and what finally happened was the hard drive failed.  Good thing we had backups for most everything.  For our situation, the End Sample error was an early warning the hard drive was failing.  We did an image of the C drive using Acronis and a Fantom external drive (total cost of $165 including the software) and that makes life much easier.

Aloha

1 Message

September 4th, 2005 06:00

I recently encountered a similar problem with the End Program - Sample and continual rebooting.

A few days ago I updated several Dell suggested drivers for my Inspiron 600m - Radeon 9000, IntelPro Set (can't recall the exact spelling).

At first I tried disabling the Radeon driver, which didn't help - once I deinstalled it I no longer rebooted and could run in normal mode. However, the End Program - Start continued on shut down.

Once I deinstalled IntelProSet, the End Program - Start disappeared and its been smooth sailing.

23 Posts

September 12th, 2005 00:00

I also tried disk cleanup and disk defragmentation. Still the END PRGRAM - Sample messge persists. I hope some one will come up with an answer. The main disadvantage is that you cannot walk off after clicking SHUTDOWN since the computer goes to the end program screen and it requires key board input.

Raj Warrier
No Events found!