Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2008 12:00

Error message: This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.

Hi All

The above message appears when I initially start up the pc and when I open a new internet explorer tab.

I am using Wondows XP home edition version 5.1  sp3 with internet explorer 7.

I'm ok but not too advanced on these things so may need step by step instructions. 

3.7K Posts

December 8th, 2008 13:00

Hi MRennie, Found this hope it helps HERE, or HERE.

3.7K Posts

December 8th, 2008 14:00

Hi MRennie, That looks like a piece of Malware, SEE HERE. I would take that over to the Malware section of the forum HERE.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2008 14:00

Hi Thanks for trying to help. I managed to download the file but the message still reappears. It also wanted me to download a scanner but I didn't do this. HAve you any other ideas?

When the message appears the title of the caption box says KWTBAIM.exe Does this mean anything?

3 Posts

December 9th, 2008 06:00

Hi All

I have done a full scan using McAfee security centre full scan and this found nothing. I would really like to resolve this without paying for extra malware etc. I am greatful for any further advise you can give.

2.6K Posts

December 9th, 2008 08:00

MRennie:  The link Robin posted (and other Google info) implicates the Kiwee Toolbar, which at some point you may have installed as an add-on to instant messenger software.  It sounds like it's trying to run at startup and failing.   See if you have any entries for Kiwee Toolbar in Add/Remove programs and try to uninstall it.

If you're unable to get rid of it, there are a few things to try on your own, but the Malware Removal experts here that Robin suggested may be a good idea.   They will not make you pay for anything. :) .

No Events found!