Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2009 00:00

Event ID 7023 - Win XP SP3

I am getting several Event ID 7023 error messages ("The Application Management Service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.") in the Event Viewer when I use Add / Remove programs in the control panel. I can literally force the message to appear by going in to Add Remove Programs and trying to add software from a disk (any install disk), even if I never make it to the point of installing anything. There are no noticeable issues other than the error message.

I searched and saw MS noted this as a known issue for pre Service Pack 2, but I have Service Pack 3. Just to be sure, I got the MS Hotfix, but it would not run, saying I had a newer version of Windows than those known to be affected.

At least one computer (Latitude D630 - happening on two of them here) has been running fine other than this message since June of this year without showing any other problems. I noticed it while setting up another D630 with WinXP Home today. That got me to inspect the other to see if it is happening there as well (same computer and OS), and it is.

I understand it is probably inconsequential, but still, it bothers me. Any easy fixes, or should I just live with it, knowing that everything is working?

1.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 19:00

Reason I suggested first checking in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder was:

I don’t have XP Home so then did a Google search on Application Management Event ID 7023 errors

Interestingly most were for XP Home OS

Quote “I searched and saw MS noted this as a known issue for pre Service Pack 2….

You didn’t say what MS KB it was, but I have just read MS KB 328213

Not sure if that’s what you were referring to?

Some interesting info:

1. Application Management service is not supported in XP Home

2. Appmgmt.dll file is not included with XP Home

3. Problem is caused by the registry setting that disables this service

Noted the dll file mentioned is appmgmt.dll & NOT appmgmts.dll ????

I assume the hotfix mentioned is to correct the registry setting, but would have thought that fix would have been included in SP3?

Some Google searches related to need to register appmgmts.dll file but then problems with XP Home not having Group Policy Editor (only available in XP Pro) etc.. etc..

So there’s your problem – have you tried to change Startup type to Disabled then see if any errors??

1.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 08:00

Hi hrova

What are the settings/values in:

1. Admin Tools > Services > right click Application Management (i.e. Exe path, Startup type etc..)

2. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppMgmt

What is the version of appmgmts.dll (located in C:\Windows\system32)

Edit: Oooops, my bad (not Application Services) should have been Application Management :emotion-41:

2.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 11:00

1.) .Exe path is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"

2.) Startup type is manual

3.) Hmmm... No file named  'appmgmts.dll' is found on the computer, either in the folder you specified or anywhere....

You didn't ask, but it may be related... There is also no 'appmgr.dll'

4.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 13:00

When you did your search, did you

a) in folder options, view tab, have show hidden files and folders checked and hide protected operating system files unchecked? If not do that. (also uncheck hide extensions for known file types, to see the .dll bit)

b) in search, more advanced options, have first three boxes checked?

There should be spare copies in either  C:\I386 or, if you at one point went from SP2 to SP3, in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 should have the SP3 versions.

If OK, put them into your \system32 folder.

If you don't have either of those folders you can have the XP SP3 installation pack available ( WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe) you could extract its contents using Winzip or similar, and copy over the files from its I386 folder. You can also download the SP3 pack from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

if needed.

If all else fails, you could download the appmgr.dll and appmgmts.dll SP2 versions from

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/A/appmgr.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html

and

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/A/appmgmts.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html

(check the downloaded files with a good malware app, such as Superantispyware, just inn case)

2.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 14:00

A) Hidden files and protected operating system files are both visible.

B) First three boxes checked...

In looking at another machine in our house (Dim 230 Win XP Home SP3, actually original XP install from Dell still, just added SP2 and ), it also lacks these files and I found evidence in the Event Viewer of the same issue. Just to verify, I threw in an install disk, did not let it autoplay, but went to Add Remove programs and directed it to browse to the disk and went no further. Sure enough, several red Event ID 7023's were there.

That kind of leads me to these conclusions:

A) it is not related to the computer or the install I did of Windows

B) it is not anything to worry about, as it has been evident in the 2350 for over a year without consequence and I rarely use Add/ Remove programs, anyway

C) I need to quit worrying about every little thing in the Event Viewer.... I love looking in there, and it helped me diagnose a dying hard drive once, but overall, I tend to worry about every little abnormality in there....

So, thanks for the attempts to help, but I may just let this be... As my wife loves to tell me (but I hate to hear), leave it alone of there's no problem....

1.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 15:00

If you don’t have the System32 appmgmts.dll file then the Add/Remove application won’t be able to execute the registry data value in:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppMgmt\Parameters folder

It should read:

Name ServiceDll, Type Reg_EXPAND_SZ, Data %SystemRoot%\System32\appmgmts.dll

Presumably that entry is missing or incorrect?

2.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 15:00

The registry entry is as you described...

I have a machine (Win XP Pro, SP3) which does not display the behavior mentioned, and it does have both the appmgmts.dll and also appmgr.dll, neither of which the other machines I've mentioned in this thread have.

Could I just copy it (appmgmts.dll) to the problem machine's correct folder?

Is it really worth it to mess with? I've had no negative consequences, just the error in Event Viewer....

1.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 16:00

As suggested by JR

Can you first navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder

Scroll down & check if the missing files are present?

They should be, if correct then just copy & paste them over to the C:\Windows\system32 folder

2.2K Posts

The MS Article you referenced is the one I was referring to.  It implies when you go to download it that it was fixed in Service Pack 2. I downloaded and tried anyway, but since I now have Service Pack 3, it would not let me install. Your assumption about it being fixed by SP3 is the same as Microsoft's.....  But the problem persisits.

Like I said, now that I know it is inconsequntial makes me feel a lot less concerned about it.

If I do disable that service, can I assume I will have no adverse consequences, as the target service .dll is not present anyway?

2.2K Posts

Appreciate the attempts, but I had stated earlier that they were nowhere to be found.

I just now checked again, but they are not in that folder.

Since this has happened on different installations with different scenarios involved, including a Dell original install, I am no longer too concerned about it. As stated, there have been no negative effects....

I posted last night when I was more concerned, not realizing another machine in our house shipped from Dell the same way, and I've been using it for years with no problems.....

Like I said, I need to stay away from the event viewer....

Thanks for trying though. I think this is more of a curiousity than anything else...

1.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 20:00

If you look at the Dependencies tab there are NONE

It’s not unusual to stop certain Services using Disabled option, in this case the service isn’t even supported

Before you make the change, assuming its still set to Manual:

1.Open registry editor & take a note of the Name Start Data value, it should be (3)

2. Close registry editor

3. Change Startup type to Disabled & click OK

4. Open registry editor value should now be (4)

5. Close registry editor & try Add/Remove then check Event Viewer for errors

2.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2009 13:00

You are correct... No dependencies... So, I disabled it and tested with Add / Remove Programs... No more error Event ID 7023.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I guess letting the error show up in the Event Viewer was not a problem, but I think the red flags in the Event Viewer should highlight real problems, not phantom ones, so eliminating inconsequential errors is probably good in the long run....

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

1.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2009 17:00

You’re welcome :emotion-21:

No Events found!