Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2008 16:00

Exposed:Dragon software--What to delete

Purchased a new Dell and downloaded Dragon Software's Exposed program.  When first run, indicated over 5000 images. This was when the machine was only about a week old.  Lots of JPG's with dates showing at the bottom of the Exposed screen all the way back to 1998.  Computer was bought Sept 2007.  Run the program now and the images number has jumped to over 12,000 and just taking up space on the hard drive.  The pictures associated with the original JPG's exquisite, but they appear to just "be there," never have popped-up when using any application.  My problem is that the desktop backgrounds and other images I know should not be deleted are also identified when Exposed is run.  First question is curiosity--why are JPG's and other stuff dating from a decade ago appearing on a brand new machine?  Second and third are more substantive.  How do you separate the wheat from the shaft, identify and get rid of the "junk" but keep what's necessary?  Anyway to stop these images from setting-up home on my hard drive?  Almost like a Dr. Seuss story.  Thanks 

12.7K Posts

April 19th, 2008 00:00

"-why are JPG's and other stuff dating from a decade ago appearing on a brand new machine?"

They are part of the OS, most of them are licensed to Microsoft from 3rd party vendors, thus the actual creation dates are left intact. Shows you how much Microsoft re-uses images in their OS.

"Anyway to stop these images from setting-up home on my hard drive?"

Most of those increasing number of jpegs are coming from your temporary internet files folder, this can be managed by opening IE and go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab, scroll down and tick the box "empty temp internet files folder when browser is closed" Hit OK.

Now the temp files will be cleaned up when you close all instances of IE. This will be the bulk of what you are seeing using Exposed.

I don't suggest deleting anything you do not know what it is, or problems may result.

Cheers.

22 Posts

April 19th, 2008 02:00

Thanx.  Love that crocodile sign.  Only place there's a crocodile around here is at the zoo but think I'll paint one for the front lawn anyway.

I'll keep to your directions and leave well enough alone with respect to everything else.

thanks again 

No Events found!