Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2010 09:00

Factory Image Restore Following OS Upgrade

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 that came with Microsoft Vista.  I recently bought Windows 7 and performed the upgrade.  Due to an issue I'm having, I'd like to know if I may still use the Dell factory image restore feature.  Will this work given that the laptop is now running a different OS from the one which shipped with the system?  If it does work, then I assume it will reinstall Vista...

Does anyone know if I can use the factory image restore feature, given the situation?  Thanks.

2.6K Posts

January 8th, 2010 11:00

Maybe you can get the original Vista factory image back, but not using the original F8 recovery menu   - the Vista boot options were overwritten when you upgraded to Windows 7.   

However, if the original Vista image and restore tools are still on the original D: recovery partition,  you may be able to do it booting from the Vista disk directly to get to the recovery options.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19289406.aspx

2 Posts

January 8th, 2010 12:00

My question is sort of related.. My laptop came with Vista on it and a D partition for recovery. Now that I have upgraded it to Windows 7 I am wondering what this second partition can be good for. Is there a way to make this into a windows 7 recovery partition or should I just delete it and make my C drive 2GB larger?

2.6K Posts

January 8th, 2010 13:00

Shredhead - if you wanted to create a Windows 7 recovery image it would be better just to do it on an external drive instead of on the partition - then you could recover even if the hard drive failed.

But as for the best way to do that,  it would be better to start your own thread - I'm not  familiar enough with imaging or Windows 7 to give you a good answer.

No Events found!