Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2008 11:00

Factory Image Restore

Hi all,

After LOADS of problems with my harddisk, partitions etcetera I decided to reset my laptop to Factory Settings. When trying so ( Dell Factory Image Restore , System Recovery Options) it gives me a BLANK error.
Please, how to reset to Factory Settings with this error??

Greets,

LucasvdM

7 Posts

August 20th, 2014 08:00

I was wondering if instead of hitting F8 to get to Dell Factory Restore, can one go to the Recovery Partition - Tools and click RestorePC and restore PC to factory state. I tried to do that after the steps that I mentioned above and got a - tools dp.sc denied - error.

If it could be done this way then I'll ask my friends to do it this way which is easier for them. If not then F8 method it is.

121 Posts

December 11th, 2014 11:00

Tony,

I know it's been many years since this thread was active.

I have an XPS 730X and would like to restore it to factory image.

I never formatted my partition that had Vista(x64) HP on it. I simply upgraded to Win 7 HP x64, because everyone knows it's much better then Vista.  I tried hitting the F-12 key hoping my MBR was intact over all these years. [I got almost 8 years with this one setup,  a Victory for Windows users everywhere.]

Everything has been destroyed by a vindictive, miserable, sorry as* rescuer for a human who destroyed my whole system after I discovered he/she /it  using the vulnerability known on  LOJACK installed on deli laptops in 2008/2009 allowed anyone to access the BIOS,  and deliver a payload that sustains apps overwrites of the HDD, and reflashing of the BIOS.  They(Dell & Lojack never fixed this vulnerability. I managed to disable lojack on only one of the 3 laptops I bought that year. Sadly I had to remove the Wi-Fi &  Bluetooth cards from them, or be subject to the bluetooth RAT this hacker shut my network down with.  I work I knew why I was being attacked. (I can post a link to the white paper released on blackhat.com about the vulnerability 5 years ago If you wish.

Anyway

I'd like to proceed with the restore.  Will WAIK function without Internet access? (with all PC's not connected to any network connection.)

121 Posts

Tony,

I know it's been many years since this thread was active.

I have an XPS 730X and would like to restore it to factory image.

I never formatted my partition that had Vista(x64) HP on it. I simply upgraded to Win 7 HP x64, because everyone knows it's much better then Vista.  I tried hitting the F-12 key hoping my MBR was intact over all these years. [I got almost 8 years with this one setup,  a Victory for Windows users everywhere.]

Everything has been destroyed by a vindictive, miserable, sorry as* rescuer for a human who destroyed my whole system after I discovered he/she /it  using the vulnerability known on  LOJACK installed on deli laptops in 2008/2009 allowed anyone to access the BIOS,  and deliver a payload that sustains apps overwrites of the HDD, and reflashing of the BIOS.  They(Dell & Lojack never fixed this vulnerability. I managed to disable lojack on only one of the 3 laptops I bought that year. Sadly I had to remove the Wi-Fi &  Bluetooth cards from them, or be subject to the bluetooth RAT this hacker shut my network down with.  I work I knew why I was being attacked. (I can post a link to the white paper released on blackhat.com about the vulnerability 5 years ago If you wish.

Anyway

I'd like to proceed with the restore.  Will WAIK function without Internet access? (with all PC's not connected to any network connection.)

John

121 Posts

The drives that have the RAID 0, aren't the original 300gb raptor HDD,  which I still have installed and was plugged in when I tried to do this. (I had simply imaged this 300gb HDD,  and then installed that image on the two veloci-rap HDDs in raid 0,  set it as first boot in the MBR).

To do this system restore,  I'd unplug the two 600gb velicraptors in raid 0, and plugged back in the original 300gb raptor,  then follow those instructions,  as  hitting F-12 so didn't work for the 10gb restore partition to restore,  when the original unformatted HDD was back on in my PC alone (is not listed because it was just sitting unplugged in the Tower.  Dell never gave me the driver /software  discs,  I should have received with my system.  For what we paid for these originally it would have been the right thing to do.

John

2.9K Posts

December 11th, 2014 14:00

John,

Normally, we recommend starting a new thread so that one of us can be readily available to help you. However, I'll try to help you out.  Normally the Recovery Partition is the D: drive. If not let us know.

Apparently you don't have a Dell Vista DVD with your system.  No problem, use your Windows 7 DVD.

Restart computer.

Press F12 while the Dell logo is on the screen.

Select the DVD-ROM as you boot device.

Select the language, keyboard and time zone.

Select the "Repair your computer" option.

Select the "Command Prompt:" option.

At the Command Prompt type: D:  and press the Enter key.

At the D:\ prompt, type: cd\tools and press the Enter key.

Type: pcrestore and press the Enter key.

If this doesn't start the PC Restore application, you can do the following:

Type: imagex/apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:

Within 8 to 15 minutes your system should be restored to its "as-shipped" condition.

If you run into problems, do not despair.  You may have to boot from a "live" CD such as Bart's PE or UBCD for Windows to get your system restored.

Let us know how you fare.

Tony

121 Posts

December 13th, 2014 15:00

Hi Tony,

I will start a new post. I'd also like to get some help with these laptops that still have lojack active,  [View:blog.coresecurity.com/.../the-bios-embedded-anti-theft-persistant-agent-that-couldnt-response-handling-the-ostrich-defense]

My wish is to remove lojack and stop this hackers destruction of my network within days of rebuilding it.

Kind Regards,

John

No Events found!