Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

June 16th, 2022 05:00

Factory.wim in the Recovery partition

I was recently trying to determine what my recovery options might be on an older Dell computer based on the information Dell might have provided when the computer was sold. When I did not find any Dell backup and restore utilities on the computer I found an article that said the computer could be restored through a link on the advanced  recovery menu under F8 Repair my computer that would have reference to Dell at the bottom of the menu. When I opened that menu Dell was not on it. I tried a couple of things Dell said that would put the link on there but it did not work. Next I tried to find the oldest version of Dell Factory Image Restore or Dell Backup and Restore that supported my operating system but I was not able to find it so I settled for a 1.9 version I was able to find. When I went to use it via the F8 menu it put a reference to its self which I used to start it. I selected the restore factory image to its original condition and when I did I was not able to see what it was doing or where it was getting its information. When it finished and rebooted I noticed it did not restore the original image. The wallpaper and theme was the same and the the product information was still in tact and did not need to be reentered. It did take off what software was on there but that was about it. All the personal files are still there. Upon further review I noticed the recovery partition had been rewritten and the recovery information in the Factory.wim file had been deleted. I noticed the recovery software created a folder on the C drive that contains about 7.2GB of information that is not hidden and subject to comprise. When I uninstalled the backup and restore program it corrupted the Windows advanced recovery options menu to where it can only be accessed through a bootable Windows installation disk. I am not impressed. I do not have anything nice to say. I am sure Dell is like the rest of them being HP, Acer, ect. I believe when I new computer is sold the buyer has a right to be able to restore their computer and the company that sold the computer should see to it the customer is able to use it getting their monies worth out of it.

49 Posts

July 26th, 2022 01:00

wim is the main recovery file that came on your computer and contains the information necessary to rebuild your PC if necessary. Do not delete it under any circumstances. You can delete any files that you have saved to the partition as they should not be there.

No Events found!