Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2009 19:00

Firefox 3.0.6 Running Slow

I have the latest version of Firefox and it will work fine on my computer but then it will start to run slow after a while. I usually clear out  private data and it will run fine but then after a bit it starts running slow all over again. I was told that memory may be the problem, I currently have 512mb of ram and will be updating it soon to 2gb. Once this is done how do I get Firefox to stop using so much memory or can I do that now?

4.6K Posts

February 25th, 2009 15:00

It probably is due to your lack of RAM?  What OS are you using?  Do you have a lot of extensions installed?

Sadly, there's no way to stop Firefox using so many resources :emotion-42:

February 25th, 2009 18:00

Unfortunately Firefox is a memory hog.  You might try the Faster Fox plugin but I found that to be not much help on my old system.  Once you upgrade to 2 gig of ram you should have much better luck.  One thing I also learned is that with a small amount of ram that you cannot install too many plugins as they only increase the amount of ram that Firefox uses.  In the meantime, remove Firefox and then do a vanilla install and it should run a little faster.  Of course, you have the option of IE 6 or 7 which runs much faster and is less of a memory hog but you will have to clean out your Temporary Internet Files and Cookies at least a couple times a day.  Your processor speed could also be part of your problem.  In order to diagnosis your problem I would have to know your processor speed.  If it is under 1 gig you are not going to have much luck making Firefox run much faster.  Do you have a lot of programs running in the background?  Too many startup programs also eats up your ram.

No Events found!