Hi guys, just need some help:
What I have:
I recently installed Linux Ubuntu 12.04 so that it would dual boot with Windows. Ubuntu replaced the default windows bootloader with Grub (or Grub2?). Anyway, Ubuntu has been corrupting my files, so I'd like to remove it.
All of these questions really come down to this:
How do I replace the GRUB bootloader with the one I had before, without affecting any of Dell's recovery features, and without needing to reinstall Windows?
Thanks in advance!
Restoring the computer through Dell’s recovery option should fix the issue, if the recovery partition on the hard drive is intact. Please backup all your data before attempting to perform a Dell Factory Image Restore.
Please use the following steps to perform a Dell Factory Image Restore:
1. Restart the system and start tapping F8 for the 'Advanced Boot Menu' to appear.
2. Select “Repair your Computer”.
3. Select the “Language” and the keyboard layout and click “Next”.
4. Login to System Recovery Options as a local user using a “Username” and “Password”. Click OK.
5. On the “System Recovery Options” page, click on “Dell Factory Image Restore”.
6. Please follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Factory Image Restore.
You need to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows Vista from the installation disk if Dell Factory Image Restore fails. Windows Vista image file is not available for download.
Please reply to this message if you need further assistance
Hi Rajath, thanks for answering my question. If I use the Dell Factory Image Restore, will it affect my Windows Vista? (Will I have to reinstall my Windows stuff, or will it leave Windows alone?)
Thankyou for your help.
The Dell factory restore partition is quite limited. It generally fails to work if partitions are changed or if another OS is installed. I am not sure if installing ubuntu will cause it to seize working also.
I recommend backing up all data from your Windows partition onto an external hard drive because even if it does work it may wipe all your data.
I recommend carrying out a manual installation in your case, please see my wiki A Clean Install of Windows Vista.