Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2011 01:00

Fn Key Driver

Hi I have just upgraded Vostro 3500 laptop from Windows 7 home to Windows 7 Professional using a volume licence.

The problem I'm having is the the Fn keys do not work, I tried finding the Quickset software on Dell downloads and drivers but could not see them, I searched the Dell site and found quite a few different versions of which none seemed to work, So I coppied the Quickset folder from a working laptop and exported the registry entry to make it start at bootup.

The software starts but is not affective and the only key which works is the Sleep button.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 24th, 2011 04:00

AmanitaRed,

Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

When you upgraded, did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then try the Vista (or XP) 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista (or XP) 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install them in the Compatibility mode

You can find Dell QuickSet under applications at Drivers & Downloads and enter your service tag number. These will also need to be installed in the Compatibility mode

Rick

2 Posts

June 15th, 2011 13:00

Functions that were affected were Brightness up down, and Connect to a Projector functions.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2011 13:00

I had a similar issue with the some of the function keys not working on a Vostro 3500 Windows 7. Turns out when I loaded Windows 7, it automatically set the display adapter to the generic display driver. When I installed the appropriate nVidia driver found on Dell's drivers and downloads page, all issues with function keys were resolved. 

No Events found!