Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2008 15:00

Free firewall

I'm trying to fine a free firewall that I can down load just the firewall. I tried to download Zone alarm, it appears I'm just getting the firewall, but it downloads security suite. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to download just zonealarm firewall or any other one that I could download that is free. I already have the anti-virus protection. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Windows has a built in Firewall that will protect incoming.  Have you tried that?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

the Security Suite, if you want to try it. It also offers you some typw of browser helper.

You can tell it that you do NOT want them and just use the FREE firewall of Zone Alarms, I did.

Zone Alarm is a great firewall to use. I have been using it for 5 years.

338 Posts

January 7th, 2008 16:00

Fireberd. I'm doing this for my neighbor. It has unvalided software on it so I can't update to sp2 software so windows firewall is unavailble. I wish it was. a good suggestion through.

Pudgyone. Do I go ahead and download Zonealarm Security Suite than just enable the Firewall and leave the others disabled? It would be nice to be able to delete what I didn't use so it would remove the software from her hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 7th, 2008 16:00

From the Major Geeks site: Editors Note: The new 7 version of Zone Alarm free includes Zone Alarm Security Suite, which explains why the free version is larger then most of the other versions. You do not have to install it and it now has some minor nag screens, at least on first install.

So you just install the firewall part and skip the Security Suite.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 7th, 2008 17:00

Just download Zone Alarm and install the firewall only. No browser helper or Suite. The download is larger that other versions but only install the firewall.

338 Posts

January 7th, 2008 20:00

PudgyOne; I have tried everything that I know what to do, I cannot get just the firewall to come up. would you mind giving me the website you are using so I can try it again your way. Sorry it looks simple but it's not my day.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 7th, 2008 21:00

from here

72 Posts

January 8th, 2008 21:00

I gave up on Zone Alarm-----try this I think you'll be very satisfied--light foot print---not noisy---easy to use.

:smileywink:

338 Posts

January 9th, 2008 12:00

Thanks Sea Bee. That one worked without a hitch. It was very user friendly and easy to set up. I have it installed and seems to be working great. I appreciate everyone's help. The old computer just wouldn't take some of the other suggestions.
No Events found!