Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2016 16:00

Getting Windows on My New Hard Drive

Hello everyone,

My old hard drive had some issues and unfortunately died. I'm in the process of going through data recovery because I wasn't able to back up all of the files.

However, I'm also getting a new hard drive (SSD this time) and I need a Windows installation file in order to get Windows back on it. I have an Alienware 17. I understand that the product key is in the BIOS itself, but I need to get a Windows 10 installation file. I checked the Drivers and Downloads section of the Support Page but it doesn't seem to be there.

Lastly, when I do get it, all I will need to do is turn off Secure Boot, right?

Thanks for your time!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 7th, 2016 04:00

You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft as an ISO, and then download the drivers from Dell.

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 7th, 2016 07:00

Follow the instructions here to download a Windows 10 RS1 .iso, make a Bootable USB and Clean Install:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

For Windows 10 RS1 a UEFI Boot with SecureBoot should be Enabled. Legacy ROMs and a Legacy Boot should be disabled. The Bootable USB should be setup using the GPT partition scheme and FAT32 formatted. The guide explains this in more detail.

5.2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 13:00

With original Win 10, if any hardware was changed, you needed to install the OS with UEFI on and Secure Boot OFF. THis is because one of the things Secure Boot does is monitor for potential unwanted  changes that you didn't do. Secure Boot can be turned back on after a successful installation. I have not had to do this with Anniversary Edition.

No Events found!