Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2010 07:00

HELP - Cant Restore Dell Factory Settings as 'Cannot Find User Account' [Inspiron 530 with Vista Home Premium]

Hi,

I have a DELL Inspiron 530 Desktop and recently had some viruses removed...unfortunately I think some of the settings on my account have been altered or removed aswell because now I keep getting blue screen error file dumps...e.g. 'PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA'

I decided to restore to factory settings and backed everything up onto an external harddrive but cannot get past login (after hitting F8 and chosing system restore option) as a user as it 'cannot connect or find the user account' I don't know what to do, please help!

Emily

4 Posts

December 9th, 2010 08:00

I have encountered the exact same problem today, any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 Posts

December 9th, 2010 10:00

Emily, If you have the windows disk that came (or should have come) with your computer, then the advice in this link appears to be working for me

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_298A2E89689E13C2E040A68F5B280AA4&isLegacy=true#2

Good Luck

5 Posts

December 9th, 2010 10:00

Thanks, unfortunately me and my computer are in France and the original box etc is in the UK, will look at getting backup discs maybe. Just really wanted a quickfix solution, I think finding the disk is gonna be the only way.

Thanks for helping

5 Posts

December 9th, 2010 12:00

Ah..I gave up myself and called Dell to chat to someone on the otherside of the world....they basically said it was a software problem and went to downloads .com and downloaded windows 'advanced system care' free... it defrags, removes viruses, programs and files etc  - then he stopped everything running at startup except dell and MS ...not sure if this will help your problem too but thought I'd let u know...mines been working ok and no more blue screen errors so far!!

Good Luck

Emily

4 Posts

December 9th, 2010 12:00

Emily,

Having just used the dell factory restore method, I have discovered that I STILL have a rootkit on my hard drive, so now I am going to endeavour to do a full format and reinstall of OS and drivers etc, just a heads up that it might not work :-(

Good Luck

Jamie

No Events found!