Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 2nd, 2007 03:00

HP Vista upgrade on DELL notebook

Hi !! i've got vista from a relative but its HP(HP) Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade. i'm thinking about installing it on my DELL notebook. The problem is the installation requires a BIOS update and as my notebok is not HP the BIOS will not install(update). I've downloaded an update for DELL from its website and now the question is should i continue with the installation? HP upgrade on DELL notebook? i know there is a risk involved but is there a possibility that it would end successfully? i;ve previously installed DELL vista upgrade (which i dont have nemore) on Toshiba notebook and there were no problems. SO should I update BIOS from DELL website and continue with installation?

ravine

2.7K Posts

August 2nd, 2007 05:00

Hi you said
i know there is a risk involved but is there a possibility that it would end successfully? 

The risk involved it is not legal to do this and the reason it does not work is because
you are trying to install {HP company} software that was built for a hp computer that was
built for there bios and it does not see the Dell bios that is why it does not work
and ask you to upgrade the Dell bios !!
See Yea

Message Edited by C3PO5 on 08-01-2007 11:30 PM

133 Posts

August 4th, 2007 05:00

I would give it a try. Earlier I installed Dell Win XP on HP computer. This is Vista, and it may be different. There is a low risk or no risk at all of doing harm if you update BIOS with Dell BIOS update, but after that try installing Vista. It might work. Yes, you will be violating the EISA, but if the Vista wasn't previously installed on HP and this will be the first computer, then I don't think MS would care. I would say go for it and see if it works.

Eugene

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Dell Inspiron E1705: Centrino Duo Computer
Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.866 GHz D-0 (Yonah)
17" WXGA+ Screen by AU Optronics
2 GB RAM at DDR2-533 by Hyundai Electronics
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256 MB Graphics Card with Hypermemory
120 GB 5400 RPM Hard Disk Drive M60 Series HM120JI by Samsung
Dell 355 Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR Technology
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 a/b/g 54 Mbps
Sigmatel High Definition Audio
Sony DVD+-RW with DL Support

2 Posts

August 4th, 2007 07:00

thankz a bunch for the help!!

2 Posts

November 12th, 2018 02:00

The very informative post you shared, as I found this Post while searching for the Error Code 0xc0000225, I faced while installing Windows 10 on my Hp Notebook.

No Events found!