Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2015 13:00

Hard Drive Failed and nowReplaced but now have no operating system

I have an XPS17 ( L701x) laptop from 2010. It came with windows 7 pre loaded but NO discs

My hard drive failed.

I backed up before it finally failed but now have no operating system. How can I add windows operating system to the new harddrive with out the discs ?

Thank you

XPS 17 (L701X, Late 2010

May 20th, 2015 23:00

Hi Dave,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum. 

Dell computers come with a pre-loaded utility called Dell Back Up and Recovery, using which our customers can create their own recovery disks containing the factory image of Windows operating system and the drivers. 

In case you have not created the recovery disks, please visit the following link to request for the operating system and drivers disk for your system:

http://dell.to/1PXW7mj  

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

4 Posts

May 21st, 2015 08:00

Thank you for your answer. I didn't make a set of recovery disks.

When I go to the link you provided I am told I am in the wrong country to be eligible ( I am in the UK and bought the laptop in the UK).

I'm not clear what to do next to obtain a set of disks for the operating system or to obtain a download.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 21st, 2015 16:00

Unfortunately for those of us in the UK there is no online media request form. You need to contact Dell UK Technical Support:

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/uk/en/ukbsdt1/category/Contact-Information/Technical-Support

May 22nd, 2015 00:00

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I was not able to make out the origin of the system since I had no details. As Natakuc4 has rightly mentioned, you can contact the UK technical support over the phone and request for the disks. Else, you can also share your system service tag along with your contact details and physical address and I will arrange the disks to be delivered to you. 

To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

No Events found!