Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2016 04:00

Hard Drive replacement and OS restoration

Hello, I have a Latitude E5520 which has been hanging at srartup with a Startup Repair that is going on for ever. 
I run the ePSA diagnostics and got the Error Code 2000-0142 with validation 14116, which means the hard drive is not working properly and should be replaced. This part is covered by my warranty and eligible for an automated dispatch. So all I have to do is fill in my shipping info. 
BUT I don't have an OS CD. I see you provide online all the drivers etc., but I am worried how I would be restoring the system with the windows 7 OS without a CD, or a restore CD. Is the replacement hard drive equiped with the restore the OS option? Or it comes totaly blank?

T.I.A.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 26th, 2016 07:00

You will also need to request Restore Media since you are still under warranty.

6 Posts

January 26th, 2016 13:00

I thought so too but I can't find a form to ask for it... I wonder if it is because I am in Greece and things here in Europe are not the same as in USA and Canada

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 28th, 2016 01:00

You can purchase a new HDD or preferably a SSD. You can then Download and Clean Install Windows 10 TH2:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

6 Posts

January 28th, 2016 06:00

Hi ieee488,

I placed the replacement request for the hard drive, and when I was contacted by the support via email, I followed your advice and asked for an OS Restore Media too. Hard drive and Restore Media are on their way.

Thank you :)

6 Posts

January 28th, 2016 06:00

Sorry natakuc4, but you either didn't read my question carefully, or were in a hurry to promote the links to your site.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 28th, 2016 09:00

Hi ieee488,

I placed the replacement request for the hard drive, and when I was contacted by the support via email, I followed your advice and asked for an OS Restore Media too. Hard drive and Restore Media are on their way.

Thank you :)

Excellent news!

1 Message

January 30th, 2016 07:00

I have the same problem but I am out of guaranty. What will be the procedure. I purchased a new HD but no OS restore media...

Will it do just to ask for them?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 30th, 2016 15:00

If you are in the USA, try this link https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/media

If you are not, you will need to contact Dell in your country.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 30th, 2016 16:00

I have the same problem but I am out of guaranty. What will be the procedure. I purchased a new HD but no OS restore media...

You can clean install Windows 10 TH2 on your system which has readily downloadable installation media.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 30th, 2016 17:00

jgpdusa

You can clean install Windows 10 TH2 on your system which has readily downloadable installation media.

After using Windows 10,  I would much rather use Windows 7 .

God help the lemmings who follow the Windows 10 path.

10 Posts

February 4th, 2016 13:00

i just replaced a bad hard drive in my out of warranty dell xps8500-- i purchased a new OS restore media from dell and it would not install without a product key -which they will not supply-- the disk was supposed to read the key from my bios but it will not.. they have no solution-i have no  OS now

6 Posts

February 5th, 2016 06:00

i just replaced a bad hard drive in my out of warranty dell xps8500-- i purchased a new OS restore media from dell and it would not install without a product key -which they will not supply-- the disk was supposed to read the key from my bios but it will not.. they have no solution-i have no  OS now

The label with the Windows product key is either at the bottom side of your laptop, or in the battery compartment (take out the battery and check in there).
With a new hard drive I had to type the product key too... The only thing stored in the bios is the service tag of the laptop.

10 Posts

February 6th, 2016 11:00

if only real life was that easy-- there is no label--btw --its a desktop

6 Posts

February 6th, 2016 13:00

if only real life was that easy-- there is no label--btw --its a desktop

Sorry, I obviously hurried to answer without having checked the particulars for the model you mentioned.
What OS did your system come with? I suppose it's not under warranty since you said you had to purchase the OS restore media.

No Events found!