Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2016 09:00

Has anyone successfully updated Precision M6500 to Win 10?

I see that Dell has very helpfully noted that my relatively "new" refurbished Precision M6500 mobile workstation is not listed as a machine that is supported for win 10 by Dell.

in fact, prior to learning this, I've tried - twice - to upgrade, only to be stuck with no internet (but a lovely interface) after the upgrade.  In both cases, I tried all the solutions (regedit, drivers, etc) - all to no avail.  In both cases, I rolled back to Win 7 Pro.

Has anyone successfully upgraded a Precision M6500 to Win 10?  If so, how did you do it?  I was hoping to find some internet protocol drivers that would I could download in Win 7, then after the upgrade, install and fix the internet problem.

...it's that or turn off the darn MS Windows 10 upgrade notification that pops up every couple weeks.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

DC

July 6th, 2016 04:00

Yea, I have and didn't experience any issue. Downloaded and installed the win7 drivers under the appropriate compatibility settings and it mostly works.

17 Posts

March 21st, 2020 16:00

Go to my write ups and fine the one for M6500 and win10. ive been running and adjusting it as needed for my m6500. I have a great condition fully upgraded beast for its day, daily driver running win 10. im working on another pc now. so if you need and help/guidance, drop me a personal, what ever they call it....

August 27th, 2020 20:00

Dear LostDell,

please advice on how to repair Bluetooth on M6500 for Win10

thanks in advance!

1 Message

March 29th, 2021 15:00

I was able to install but after turning off nvidia service laptop screen shows some weird colors even during POST with Dell logo memory test.

External display still works.

Anyone?

August 23rd, 2021 17:00

I kinda able to do it.. 

Installing windows 10 on the device is always fail.
But if you install it on other laptop (on my case, an even older laptop that using core i3 1st gen), then move the HDD to your Dell Precision M6500.. Then you can use it.. 

This trick only work for several days though.. 

Eventually it will stop working.
If that happen, move the HDD back to the laptop that you use to install windows 10.. Then do "chkdsk c: /f/r"

After the scan it will be able to run again.

I really love how wide is its screen and how perfect is the keyboard.
How can dell prevent us to use this beast on its best potential??

November 21st, 2021 05:00

Update : I can somehow understand the problem here.

So Dell Precision m6500 using arrandale processor (in my case i7 m620) with intel chipset southbridge PM55.

And my HP Compaq CQ42 is using the same configuration, except it using different arrandale processor (core i3 m350).
The CQ42 is also lack many hardware like the discrete VGA.

But miraculously, it can install windows 10 without any hassle.
Why? Because all its hardware is pretty common so it all has windows 10 driver.

While the Dell Precision m6500 has tons of hardware that need driver update, which Dell cannot provide (because they are not the maker).

So when I install windows 10 in my CQ42, then move the SSD (or HDD) to my Precision m6500.. Windows somehow recognize it as the same laptop, only have its processor and VGA  updated.

So if you like me.. stuck with the bright 17 inch screen and beautiful keyboard of dell precision.. but don't want to spend $4K for a new one.. Why don't you buy cheaper laptop with arrandale processor and PM55 souhthbridge.. Just like my HP Compaq CQ42.. which is now very cheap.. Just in order to install windows 10 for your dell precision m6500.. 

When you have any problem, you can move back your SSD to your CQ42 for repair.
Usually just need to do two things on CMD:

1. SFC /Scannow 
2. CHKDSK  C: /f

No Events found!