Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2010 15:00

Have read FAQ on formatting drive but still confused

Hi all,

I want to format my drive and reinstall windows, i have seen this article http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=339949#Issue3

However, i have a D: RECOVERY drive on Vista  and someone told me you don't need the vista CD if you have this recovery partition.  To be honest i'm not even sure i got a CD with my computer.  All the boxes are stored away so i thought i would get this clarified before i go looking for it as it will be a few hours work trying to find it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 13th, 2010 18:00

celtic5001,

The easiest method it...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If the Recovery partition is corrupt, then it has to be done manually. How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

If you are the origional owner and live in the United States, then Request Backup Disks USA

May Vista system came with the factory disks.

Rick

September 17th, 2010 20:00

Thanks for your help i will follow your adviice.

finally just clarifu will this 'wipe' the drive?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 18th, 2010 04:00

celtic5001,

If you choose Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings and the recovery partition is working, the computer will have everything just like it was when you purchased it. All data will be lost.

If you choose How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer you have to install the drivers in order, How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems and yes, all data will be lost.

It's always best to make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. This should be a normal practice.

Rick

No Events found!