Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2015 15:00

Having a few recent problems with system processes.

Hello.

I am having some severe peace-of-mind issues with a few unknown processes coming up in my Task Manager and a few small annoyances that have happened since they showed up.

My first, most major question is simply this:  Are Dell Data Vault Service and Dell Data Vault Wizard legitimate processes?  What do they do?  The former occasionally uses a small amount of CPU or disk space, nothing major.  The latter does not seem to go active, just sitting in the tray.  I have no pop-ups or open windows associated with these processes.

I also seem to be having some slight hiccups in a few programs ever since these processes appeared; Youtube videos occasionally hang a sound or jump slightly, and so do some other animations.  Again, nothing major, just enough to unsettle me.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 7720 SE series

17 Posts

April 8th, 2017 05:00

I had 2x SupportAssist installed: Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssistAgent. When I deleted SupportAssistAgent, the Dell Data Vault services were removed automatically as well. What a relief!

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2015 08:00

Jukkaimaru                                                                                     

At the link below is an explanation of the Dell Data Vault  and information if you want to remove it.

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 20:00

Hi everybody,

I have similar annoying problem with audio hiccups/short buzzing that happended every 1-2 minutes during any audio/video playback.  It started on Feb 11 2015. According to Event Log exactly on this date DellDataVault was automatically installed on my computer.
It turned out that DellDataVault was installed as a  Service. After manually stopping this service all audio anomalies stopped. 

This automatic forced  installation by Dell of its DataVault cost me a few hours of diagnostics and googling for the solution. Not a good practice, Dell.

February 13th, 2015 16:00

I had this exact same problem with my Dell XPS L702X laptop. I contacted Dell technical support and they said that this service is only used if you use backup service with Dell. So unless you use Dell backup service it is safe to simply stop the Dell Data Vault service and change it's startup type to disabled. I also have a service called Dell Data Vault Wizard which I have stopped and disabled, although it didn't seem to cause any problems for me. But since I don't need it why take up system resources?

6 Posts

February 13th, 2015 16:00

This link to a third party site is of no help at all! Does Dell not even have an explanation for their own software that they have pushed to their unwitting customers?

February 14th, 2015 17:00

Yes, what an unwelcome surprise. (XPS 15)

I think it came with Dell software update, part of Windows Update on around 12/2/15. I uninstalled Dell Update and Dell Support, and all the unwelcome activity stopped and the Dell Data Vault Service also disappeared.

February 20th, 2015 06:00

hi,

I faced the same problem in my dell Vestro 5460. How can I uninstall this program(service?).  it's really annoying  having a hiccups every minutes, 59.5 sec exactly, while watching YouTube videos.   

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

March 26th, 2015 12:00

Yes I have been having issues too. A serious audio dropout exactly every 10 minutes, to the second. After disabling a few things I discovered that disabling the DELL dataVault services seems to have fixed the problem.

DELL - please do not clutter our computers with buggy software. We have work to do.

Thanks
Richard

3 Posts

June 28th, 2015 13:00

I have spent days tracking down a performance problem on my XPS-8500 desktop
system.  There would be a sequence of tightly spaced episodes of 100% disk activity.  All my windoes would freeze and say "not responding" in the banner.  I'd watch the disk with the resource monitor.  Not until it dropped out of the sequence of 100% Activity time would the other screens unfreeze.  Sometimes the monitor itself would freeze.

I Used the Microsoft debugging technique of doing clean boots using msconfig.exe to selectively shutdown services.  The process was a binary search of my 39 services to pinpoint which one caused the problem.  It was defintiely the Dell Data Vault.  Actually I think I had to be running both the Vault and the Vault Wizard service to cause the problem.  It go so bad on that finally experiment, that I had great difficulty accessing msconfig in order to turn those services off again.

With those services turned off now, my computer is running without any window freezes.  The disk active time is never 100%  Most of the time it is 0% even while i have Firefox, Thunderbird, and Emacs in active use.  This Data Vault issue was responsible for squirrelly behavior in many of my other applications that I use.

I cannot finde Dell Data Vault in the windows control panel to uninstall it.  I do have DellDataSafe Local Backup.  I'll have to research that to see if they are related.

27 Posts

December 16th, 2015 15:00

It's pretty sad to find that Dell programs that I never asked for and have never used have been running continuously on my computer for the last 2 years.

And I can't even uninstall it.

No Events found!