Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 23rd, 2009 05:00

Help: Downgrading from Vista 64-bit to XP Pro.

I need to downgrade our new Dell Inspiron 530 from Vista to XP Pro, so that I can connect it to our server.  When I try installing XP Pro it tell me that something is blocking the install, but it won't specify what the block is.  I would appreciate any assistants I can get in solving this problem.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 09:00

Angela2,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

It is hard to say what is blocking the install without more information. Try unplugging all external devices connected to the system and then try. How are you going about installing?

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 09:00

Jesse,

Thank you for responding to my plead for help.  There are no external devies connected to the system.  I am trying to install XP Pro by restarting the computer with the CD in the drive.  The screen come up with the install option and when I push install it says to the effect that, it's being blocked because it was any older version then what is already on the computer.  How would I go about getting around that problem.

Thank you,

Angela

4.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 11:00

The screen come up with the install option and when I push install it says to the effect that, it's being blocked because it was any older version then what is already on the computer.  How would I go about getting around that problem.

You need to (quick-) format the hard drive first Angela, such that you get rid of Vista completely, before you install XP Pro :emotion-55:

No Events found!