Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 18th, 2008 03:00

Help! My screen is now rotated 90 degrees, i.e. it is on its side.

Help! My screen is now rotated 90 degrees, i.e. it is on its side. I have a dell laptop running Windows XP home edition. and now the screen is on its side. This also means the mouse moves vertically when it is moved horizontally etc. I don't remember doing anything that could cause this. It happend after I rebooted. Anyone know how to fix this? Is there a setting that can be changed?
Model number is PP08L. Is ther a switch from "portrait" to "Landscape" setting? How do I get it back to normal?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 18th, 2008 04:00

Try one of these:

Ctrl + Alt + Left Arrow:     Rotate display 90 degrees Left
Ctrl + Alt + Right Arrow:    Rotate display 90 degrees Right
Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow:    Rotate display 180 degrees (Upside down)
Ctrl + Alt + Up Arrow:       Rotate display to regular mode

6 Posts

March 18th, 2008 14:00

Hah!

That is one cool feature. Didn't know it was there.

131 Posts

March 19th, 2008 16:00

That's a favorite prank in our offices.  Does anyone around you appear to be trying not to giggle?

5 Posts

July 25th, 2008 19:00

I have a friend that inadvertantly rotated her screen 180 degrees (upside down). I am a 'non-tech' person, but volunteered to help. I went through ALL the help options on my Windows XP....searched for 2 hours but couldn't find ANY reference to 'screen rotation' except as it related to photos and printing. Then I thought about this site, and registered..and lo and behold....found what appeared to be a simple solution!

I tried alt+control+down arrow on my screen but nothing happened....with any of those options...What am I doing wrong??? 

131 Posts

Oh.  Never mind.  I just re-read your post.  The Ctrl-Alt-arrows don't work with all video cards.

131 Posts

Did you try Ctrl-Alt-up?

5 Posts

July 25th, 2008 23:00

Hi ConesE:

Thanks for your interest.....I did try the Control+Alt+arrows...in that order..my message order was wrong. I assume you have to have all three functions depressed at the same time, so it probably wouldn't make any difference...I read some other responses to other screen rotation problems, and they refer to video cards, etc...

The problem my friend has is not that involved....she has no 'added features' like video cards, hardly ever downloads attachments, etc...just uses her computer for basic communication via email. Right now her screen is upside down, and she doesn't know how it got that way, other than when she was trying to make some display adjustments to move the side the menu was on from right to left she clicked on some options that showed 90-180 choices...and couldn't get back to those options.

Thanks, GOBART

5 Posts

July 28th, 2008 04:00

Hi Joe53:

I noticed you responded to a number of requests with this rotation problem, and I'm new to this group support function.

I tried your control+alt+arrows solution and it didn't work, so I posted an 'upside down' problem, and to date have had only one response...even though it appears my message was viewed 27 times.

I saw another suggestion elsewhere, to go to the "safe" mode, and work with my friend's computer that way...but I'm not too keen on playing around in areas that could mess up my computer...

I also tried to find 'graphics properties' on my computer, because some solutions indicated a 'rotate' function there...but I couldn't get anything on my computer along those lines.

I would like to try any possible solutions on my Dell because I'd have to work upside down on my friend's computer.

Do you have any other ideas, or does anyone 'out there' have other possible solutions?

Thanks, GOBART 

131 Posts

July 29th, 2008 12:00

I'm sorry, but if Ctrl-Alt-arrow key doesn't change the orientation, I'm at a loss.

Yes, I hold down the Ctrl-Alt and tap the arrow -- up orients it with the top on top (doh!), down orients it upside down, etc.

Is it a laptop?  If so, make sure the num-lock isn't on.  Maybe a standard USB keyboard would work.

You won't break anything going into safe mode unless you actually make changes.  It would be useful to know if it's oriented properly in safe mode.

131 Posts

July 29th, 2008 18:00

All's well that ends well, huh?  ;)

5 Posts

July 29th, 2008 18:00

Hi ConesE: Thanks again for your interest and response...but the problem has been solved. My friend had another more 'computer savvy' person than me stop by and corrected the screen orientation. Sad news is that she wasn't even watching when he was working on the computer, and doesn't have a clue regarding what he did, so I can't even pass on what the problem was, or the solution. So it goes....

Thanks again, GOBART

5 Posts

July 29th, 2008 19:00

Right on!! Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  gb
No Events found!