Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2012 03:00

Help with Dell Inspiron One 2305

This is my very first time asking for help on here and I am completely brain dead when it comes to computers, so please bear with me!

I think I may have screwed up big time trying to fix my computer rather than paying to get it fixed. I was having an issue with my screen and notified Dell who later had my motherboard replace. Afterwards, I was told to reinstall Windows 7 and was given a new disc. Thinking I knew what I was doing, I simply popped in the disc and chose the recommended option, which after a long process, directed me to sign in with some sort of username and password. 

After not being able to get through without the secret codeword, I spoke to a Dell representative who let me know I had installed the disc wrong and attempted to talk me through it. The only option left was for me to completely start over and the rep gave me a couple of days to back up my files. 

When starting up my computer, I was given the option to do some sort of set up or go to Windows 7 and I eventually got to Dell datasafe recovery (I couldn't even tell you how) and apparently backed up my computer on a Toshiba external hard drive I had bought. After it said it was 100% finished backing up my files, it was unable to finish the rest of the process.

Unfortunately, I have the mindset that I can easily find the solution myself and kept clicking around and finding different options to get my computer to work somehow and that has led my computer to not even be able to start up properly. After the Dell logo sign appears, I'm redirected to some sort of DRMK thing. I've searched all over and don't even understand what I've done or what I can do. 

I obviously need tons of help and would appreciate any insight whatsoever, besides being told how badly I screwed up :(

I have a Dell Inspiron One 2305, the All-in-One. The BIOS version says A05 and the processor type says "AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240e Processor."

If you need any other information about my computer, please ask in a simple manner. I appreciate anyone willing to help and thank you so much in advance! 

7 Posts

August 29th, 2012 05:00

The problem with that is that the Windows logo doesn't even pop up for me anymore. After the Dell Inspiron logo appears, it goes to that DMRK v 8 thing.

677 Posts

August 29th, 2012 05:00

Hi schmelanie,

We can try doing a PC restore or Windows 7 reinstallation. I recommend PC restore as it is simpler and takes less time. This will do a factory reset of your system and reinstall the operating system, drivers and Dell applications. During the process you would lose all the data. Please find below the link which will help you in doing PC restore.

http://dell.to/eZRaOS

Please let us know if this works.

Thanks and Regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

677 Posts

August 30th, 2012 09:00

Hi schmelanie,

Please let us know if you can see any lights blinking or of you hear any beeps. You may also disconnect the main power cable, press and hold the power button for 15 to 20 seconds and then connect the power cable. Now start the system and check.

Please reply in case of queries

Thanks and Regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

7 Posts

August 31st, 2012 00:00

I took like a two day break from trying to solve the issue and did what you said Harish. My computer will boot up, load the Dell screen, and then a black screen comes up after that and says "Disk error. Press any key to restart." and when I press a key, it reads, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device. or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

677 Posts

August 31st, 2012 08:00

Hi schmelanie,

Request you to keep tapping F2 key multiple times on the keyboard as soon as the system restarts. This will take you to the BIOS screen. On the main page, please look for an option called Internal HDD. Request you to check if the Hard drive is shown.

If it is shown, Please restart the system and keep tapping F12 key as soon as the restarts. This will take you to One time boot menu from which select diagnostics. This will check all the hardware components.

Please reply with the error codes if any.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

7 Posts

September 1st, 2012 21:00

Error code 0146

677 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 08:00

Hi schmelanie,

0146 error is a small error on the hard drive. I request you to run extended test to understand the issue better. Please find steps below to run the test on hard drive

1. Restart the computer.

2. As the computer boots, press when the Dell Splash Screen appears.

3. When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Boot to Utility Partition option, or the Diagnostics option and then press to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics.

4. Press the key to highlight Test System Press to continue to 32-bit Diagnostics.

5. Select Custom test, select hard drive and select run test.

This will test the hard drive for further issues.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

7 Posts

September 16th, 2012 16:00

When I enter diagnostics, it doesn't even give me options to run a custom test or anything

7 Posts

September 19th, 2012 16:00

After I enter diagnostics I get a message that says

"Error Code 0146.

Msg: Error Code 2000-0146

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test log contains previous error(s)

The giver error code and message can be used by Technical Suppor to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing?"

And when I continue, it just always ends up making me reboot and the problem continues.

677 Posts

September 20th, 2012 22:00

Hi schmelanie,

Please insert the Resource disk into the system and shut the system down. Once you start the system, keep tapping F12 key multiple times (once every two seconds), which will take you to the One time boot menu. Select ‘CD/DVD drive’ and choose Boot from CD-ROM drive and then press to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics. Press the key to highlight ‘Test System’ Press to continue to 32-bit Diagnostics.

Select ‘Custom test’, select ‘hard drive’ and select ‘Run test’. This process will run a thorough hard drive test and provides us with more details of the issue on the system.

Please let us know in case of any queries

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

7 Posts

September 27th, 2012 02:00

The CD/DVD drive option doesn't even show up.

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                        

No Events found!