Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2006 15:00

Help with SFC issue

Despite many phone calls, chat sessions, and emails, I am getting nowhere with the following issue.

My new XPS 410 (XP Media Center Edition) seems to be running normally with no problems.

However, when I run the SFC, it tells me that files need to be copied to the DLL cache "in order for Windows to run properly", and asks me to insert "Installation CD1". However, I have one DVD, not two CDs. So I insert the DVD but get a message saying the "CD I have inserted does not match the software installed on the system"! Hence I can not complete the scan.

Belarc advisor tells me I have XP Media Center Edition, but the Dell info tool tells me I have XP Professional installed.....very odd.

Two Dell Techs have told me to ignore the issue, but one has had me do "PC Restore" twice. Even after a PC Restore, and before installing any other software, the SFC issue is there. The last Rep have now stopped responding to my emails to them!

The strange thing is that, eventhough I did not order it, the computer came with Microsoft Office Small Business Edition installed, (but not registered, so it was useless and I uninstalled it.)

It seems to me that the factory installed some kind of hybrid operating system and that the DVD they sent me is not compatible.

Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 30th, 2006 17:00

If I remember correctly, media center edition is based on XPpro, so Dell's tool may not ID it correctly. It's always possible the DVD you received is incorrectly labeled. A while back, Dell sent out bunches of CDs labeled XPpro that were actually XPhome. You should ask Dell to replace the DVD with another MCE disk, for starters.

Ron

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 30th, 2006 18:00

Hi:

First of all, you can confirm your OS version is MCE 2005 by Start>Run> type  WINVER . It should confirm what Belarc says. The Dell info tool is misleading, as explained here:
" Windows XP Media Center 2004 and 2005 are upgrades for the Media Center components of the system rather than a Windows version update. At the core your still running Windows XP Professional version 2002 with either the Media Center 2002, 2004 or 2005 components. System Properties displays the version of Windows so it is no use in ascertaining which Media Center (XP) version your running. "
excerpt from http://salloway.org.uk/mediacenter/2004/version.htm

I too received a reinstallation DVD.  I'm not sure why yours isn't being recognised. The DVD should say "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005". As Ron said, you might have a mislabelled copy.

SFC is best kept in reserve for when you are having problems.  As you said, you are not. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! A good tutorial on SFC is:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Message Edited by joe53 on 10-30-2006 03:05 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 30th, 2006 19:00

Let me rephrase what Joe53 said, if it ain't broke, don't break it! ;)

Ron

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 30th, 2006 21:00

adaywayne:

That tutorial link gives instructions on how to point SFC to extract files from the I386 folder on your HD, rather than from the DVD. If I386 isn't present, you can extract it from the DVD and copy it to your HD. 

186 Posts

October 30th, 2006 21:00

Thank you Rohe and Joe for your sound advise. The installation DVD I have is labelled correctly, at least....
"Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2".

I value your "if it ain't broke" advice. I just don't want problems to arise AFTER my 30-day Dell support/return policy expires.. For example, what if I do get a corrupted file in the future and need to run SFC to extract the original file from the DVD? It seems I would not have that option since SFC tells me that the Windows software version on it is not the same as that installed on my computer. The scan stops right there and I have no way of retrieving the needed file.
Thanks again.

PS. Forum message email notification seems not to be working, even though I have set it correctly in my preferences.

186 Posts

October 31st, 2006 13:00

I'm sorry, Joe. I neglected to point out that I had already done that before my first post. I already had the I386 file on my hard drive (1.6GB, not the 475MB stated in the article) and I have the source path pointed to C;\, but SFC still calls for the installation CD! I have tried exchanging the two versions of the file but that didn't help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 31st, 2006 15:00

Lest I repeat myself, contact Dell and have them replace the DVD with another MCE disk. If the new disk doesn't work either, then you're only fix for the sfc problem may be to run a Repair/Reinstall of XP. Personal files and any software you added won't be lost, but all the XP updates will have to be reinstalled.

When sfc refused to work properly on my Dimension 8400 with XPpro SP2, I ran Repair/Reinstall and only then did sfc stop whining about strange problems.

Ron
EDIT: Can I presume you've run Ad-aware, Spybot, antiviral software, etc. to be sure your system is free from malware?

Message Edited by RoHe on 10-31-2006 09:41 AM

186 Posts

October 31st, 2006 18:00

Yes I have run virus and spyware programs. I will ask Dell for a new disk as you suggested.
Thanks again for your time.

186 Posts

November 2nd, 2006 18:00

Joe, I received the replacement Installation DVD from DEll this morning. With this new disk, SFC runs perfectly.
Issue resolved, thanks to you expert help. Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2006 18:00

:)

I wonder what's really on that original disk. ;)

Ron

186 Posts

November 2nd, 2006 19:00

Dell Tech Center (very smart fellow I spoke to) tells me that it the correct DVD but appears to be a defective pressing. Happens about 1 in 1000 DVDs he says. Any way, I put it through the shredder!
No Events found!