Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2010 13:00

How about installing xp on a XPS L701X

Have changed controller to ata, did not help cd loads xp drivers then stops to blue screen.

• 

17K Posts

December 14th, 2010 04:00

Johnwmeigs,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

What does the blue screen read? This will help in determining where to start resolving the problem.

4 Posts

December 14th, 2010 15:00

I am going to stop trying at this point.  I had a program that I had run on xp and I got it running in Win 7.  So I dont have a need at his time anymore.  Thanks for the reply.

12 Posts

January 30th, 2011 11:00

search for the following entry, you need the ACHI drivers

Created dual boot of vista 32 bit and windows 7 64 bit on XPS 17/L701X with 2 Hard drives - Need 32 bit video driver

2 Posts

February 26th, 2011 16:00

It happened to me too; after the first load of files,  the blue screen  reads:

Technical information:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0XF73B9D66, 0XF78D1EAO, 0XF78D1B9C)

acpi.sys - Address F73B9D66 base at F73AE000, DateStamp 480252b1

This is with Windows XP pro SP3

I've tried to add the SATA text drivers but didn't have any luck yet;

I want to try if a program ( a full screen old graphic data changer) that I need can run on it, I've already tried with a virtual machine but it doesn't let the program run.

Can anyone help with something useful please?

Thank You!

Sara

1 Message

March 11th, 2011 07:00

I have the same problem. I need to install XP to get a special USB device to work (which has only XP/W2k/w98 drivers), it will not work in a virtual machine. Anyway I prefer windows XP over windows 7 anyway.

I updated to the latest BIOS, but that did not help. I tried with all other HAL options using F5, but whenever using an ACPI HAL you get the BSOD and whenever selecting a NON ACPI HAL it simply hangs when loading drivers upon install. It seems this XPS l701x or it's BIOS has a serious compatibility issue with the ACPI spec. There are anyway quite a lot of BIOS settings/options missing, for example to disable hyperthreading, to configure power management, and to disable Intel speedstep. Is there an altenative ACPI.SYS driver available which is compatible? Can this be fixed with a new BIOS?

1 Message

March 28th, 2011 14:00

I also have the same problem!

blue screen after driver chargement during xp setup reporting problem with acpi.sys

I need to use a old release of professional 3D software, i can' t use xp mode

I have tryed:

Upgade bios to latest version (A08)

Integrate SATA driver on installation CD of XPsp2 (original and licensed) > Blue  screen 

F5 > chose standard PC > black screen XP intallation not run after

F5 > chose different  > black screen XP intallation not run after/Blue screen

F7>black screen XP intallation not run after

Please help Me 

I love My XPS 17 with Win7 but i need also XP

(sorry for my english)

Matteo

1 Message

July 30th, 2011 03:00

I have the exact same problem trying to install windows xp sp3 english 32 bits , when loading drivers i get acpi.sys bluescreen. It seems to me like a hardware problem with this model, by the way this is the first of many problems you may have aslo your network card and motherboard will start failing when using it intensivly dell had to replace mine 2 times until it work again lucky i had purchased extended warranty, it reminds me hp tx1000 defective laptops. I hope dell fix this issue since its critical for high end laptops like the l701x.  Minus one point to dell for realeasing such a faulty model. Search lots of forums and non have an answer yet, we may require a bios update or special driver.

11 Posts

September 25th, 2011 07:00

I've the same Problem

I've tried to do the first step in a virtual Machine and then copy it to the hdd and finalize installation, but it didn't work, too.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 25th, 2011 09:00

Why don't you start from the beginning of your problem - everybody saying "me too" is rarely helpful, as it often turns out that many important details and differences are omitted with the "me too" statement.

What system?

What OS(es)?

What exactly have you tried (steps, tools, files, etc.)?

11 Posts

September 26th, 2011 09:00

OK,

1  N11XL726

1  XPS L701X : INTEL I7-740QM(1, 73GHZ) MOBI

1  DISPLAY : 17.3IN HD+ WLED TRUE-LIFE (160

1  LCD RUCKWAND : ELOXIERT ALUMINIUM WLAN R

1  LIEFERZUBEHOR : DEUTSCH DOKUMENTATION

1  RESOURCE DVD : XPS L701X DIAGNOSTICS AND

1  MEMORY : 4096MB (2X2048) 1333MHZ DDR3 DU

1  FESTPLATTE : 500GB SERIAL ATA (7200 1/MI

1  OPTICAL DRIVE : TRAY LOAD BLU-RAY DISC B

1  NETZKABEL : EUROPAISCH 250V

1  NETZTEIL : XPS 150W AC ADAPTER

1  AKKU : HAUPTAKKU 9 ZELLEN 90WH LI-ION

1  CARRY CASE : NOT INCLUDED

1  GRAPHICS : 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 445M GR

1  TV TUNER : NICHT INBEGRIFFEN

1  WIRELESS : EUROPA INTEL CENTRINO WIRELES

1  WIRELESS : EUROPA BLUETOOTH KARTE 3.0

1  TASTATUR : INTERN DEUTSCH QWERTZ TASTATU

1  OPERATING SYSTEM : GERMAN GENUINE WINDOW

1  OS MEDIA : MUI WINDOWS 7

1  SOFTWARE : MICROSOFT OFFICE STARTER: RED

1  DELL DOCK 1.0

1  SOFTWARE : DATASAFE LOCAL 2.3 BASIC

1  SOFTWARE : DELL DOWNLOAD STORE (UK, FRAN

1  SOFTWARE : DELL SUPPORT CENTER 2.0

1  SOFTWARE : WINDOWS LIVE

1  ANTIVIRUS : MCAFEE SECURITY CENTER 3 JAH

1  STANDARD SERVICE - 1 YEAR OF COVERAGE IN

1  NO WARRANTY UPGRADE

1  NO ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SUPPORT

1  DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP 2GB - 1 YEAR LICE

1  DATASAFE ONLINE SIZE - 2GB TRIAL

1  NO - DELL MAY NOT TELEPHONE ME IN RELATI

1  XPS L701X - GERMANY HSB

1  XPS- SYSTEM ONLY

1  COMPUTRACE LOJACK FOR LAPTOPS, 1YR LICEN

1  SOFTWARE : COMPUTRACE LOJACK FOR LAPTOPS

Is that enough?

11 Posts

September 26th, 2011 09:00

Uups,

1. I have tried to install it normaly, than an acpi.sys bluescreen apears.

2. Than with F7, than it does nothing (only an "_" in the left upper corner is flashing up)

3. Then i have done the first step in a VM then i copied it to the HDD and integrated it to boot in bcdedit, but it fails (no boot)

Sorry for the 2nd post but i haven't found any edit Button

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 26th, 2011 10:00

No worries ... the green pencil is the "edit" button.

1. When you "tried to install it normally", at what point does the bluescreen appear ... how far did you get?

2. F7 indeed does nothing that I know of.  What were you under the impression it was supposed to do?

3. How did you copy from the VM?  What VM software are you using ... this method can be very hit/miss.

11 Posts

September 27th, 2011 07:00

1. IT loads the drivers than the Bluescreen apears. (if I find my cammera I'll be able to show you the point it hangs. URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5sInz7kUs)

2. F7 stands for an non ACPI-Version

3. I mountded the vhd as an drive using win 7 and than I copyed the content of it. I used the microsoft Virtual PC (that one for Win7)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 27th, 2011 08:00

So, did you copy the contents of the VHD to the hard drive, or did you copy the VHD to the hard drive and attempt to boot to it?  Keep in mind that only Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise can boot to a VHD file.

11 Posts

September 27th, 2011 09:00

I have copyed the contend of it (Yes i know only Ultimate and Enterprise can boot from VHD)

Here you have the Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5sInz7kUs

Yes of corse i had tried to change to ata, but didn't help.

No Events found!