Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 24th, 2014 04:00

How can I create a re-installation medium for Windows 7 (OS only, no personal files)

Hi,

I recently bought a Dell E7440 that was delivered with Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) pre-installed and Windows 8 on a separate DVD. As I have developed an interest in Linux, I am planning to run a Linux distribution aside Win 7 (dual boot).

In preparation of the install of another OS, I want to make a reinstall disc(s) or USB stick for Win 7. The point of this is that if anything goes wrong, I want to be able to make a fresh re-installation of Win 7 on the laptop, not dependent on what was previously stored on the SSD, such as a Windows restore partition. This re-insitallation medium should only install Win 7, not restore any personal files.

Is this possible with Dell Backup and Recovery or the built-in backup tools in Win 7? I am using the basic edition of Dell's backup tool but can upgrade if absolutely necessary.

It should be noted that my laptop does not have any Microsoft stickers with product keys for Win 7 (or Win 8) on it. Will this be a problem, or is all that kind of information stored on the re-installation medium?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 24th, 2014 08:00

I recommend you look for a windows 7 X64 DELL disc on ebay and also keep 2 gigs of ram handy.  Installing 64 bit win7 will boot to an all white screen if more than 2 gigs is installed during the initial setup.

Once fully installed adding ram seems to be fine. 

Windows 8 keys are encrypted stored in the Bios installed at the factory.  There are no more COA Stickers due to piracy. (OEM System Builder Versions Do Still have COA Stickers)

Windows 8 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label there are NO MORE Certificate of Authenticity (COA) Labels.

See the following examples of labels to look for.

Color-Shifting Ink
The color shift on the label is designed to change from one color to another when viewed from different angles,

making it easy to determine if it is genuine.

Windows 8: magenta to green

Windows 8 Pro: blue to purple

Windows RT: turquoise to purple

Genuine Microsoft Labels
Genuine Microsoft Labels

You could try Belarc Advisor.

I don't know if this shows the key or not. (Versions Higher than 8.3c do Show the Key)

Version 8.4 supports Windows 8.1

• Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 8.1, 2012 R2, 8, 2012, 7, 2008 R2, Vista, 2008, 2003, XP, 2000, NT 4, Me, 98, and 95. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows are supported.
  • Browsers: Runs on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and many others.

However as you change versions by adding softpacks you should save the previous keys as they are removed and replaced with the PRO and MCE packs.  But windows will not clean install with an update pack so you need the original key in order to Install clean then do windows anytime upgrades back to PRO or MCE editions.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html

No Events found!