Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2007 10:00

How can you get past login screen to be able to use the password reset disk.

Hi,
         Grandaughter has forgot her login details.  How can you get past the login screen to be able to use the password reset disk? Thanks for any replies.
Martin

12.7K Posts

August 14th, 2007 12:00

66 Posts

August 14th, 2007 13:00

Hi,
        thanks for that link.  The main problem is that when the pc is switched on, we cannot get past the login screen to enable use of the password reset disk.  How do you actually get past the windows login screen.  thanks
Martin

66 Posts

August 14th, 2007 14:00

Yes, I read that bit,but the 2nd part says click use your password reset disk,but we cannot logon at all to be able to create a disk.  Thanks
Martin

12.7K Posts

Did you read this section of the article?

"How to log on to the computer by using a password reset disk"

66 Posts

To be able to create a password reset disk, we need to click on start and then control panel, which we cannot do.
Martin

12.7K Posts

"How can you get past the login screen to be able to use the password reset disk?"

You said "use", not "make". a big difference in how I would answer the question, no you cannot make the disk once you are locked out, but there is another way or two to get around the issue altogether.

try this method first

if no luck use this utility to reset the password.
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/  read instructions carefully.

66 Posts

August 14th, 2007 15:00

Sorry about that confusion.  Apparently, they have the password, but are not typing it in correctly. They are trying different permutations of the password, to be able to get the right one.  If not I will try one of the links you have sent.  Thanks.
Martin
No Events found!