Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2013 12:00

How do I create reinstall discs for Vista from my recovery partition?

I have a Dell Studio 540 I bought in 2009 that came with Vista 64-bit pre-installed. I didn't get any Vista install discs but instead had a recovery partition (D). I didn't create any backup discs at the time.

Now my hard drive is about to crash and burn (I'm getting "imminent failure" warnings from Vista and from Dell's diagnostics). I've purchased a new hard drive, but I want to know how to reinstall Vista on the new drive once it's replaced my failing one.

I'm trying to create recovery/OS reinstall discs, but I'm not finding a way. I don't seem to have any Dell backup software to do this, neither Datasafe or Dell Backup. (My hard drive was previously wiped clean and Vista reinstalled a couple of years ago when my video card failed. Maybe these apps got wiped out at that time, I don't know.)

I still have the recovery folder on my (still) working hard drive and have also copied it to an external hard drive.

Can anyone tell me how to create install discs so I can reinstall Vista to my new hard drive?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 29th, 2013 16:00

You have a few options:

Upgrade Product Key

This requires a license to upgrade from. Typically you need your old version of Windows installed. There are some workarounds posted particularly for users in the same situation as you, that need to replace hard drives etc. and only have the upgrade media (as most systems are medialess now unfortunately). Otheres require an absolute clean installation after formatting with the likes of DBAN to get rid of Malware/Virus infections and don't have the old media. Without these workarounds users wouldn't be able to activate.

Firstly you can buy the upgrade and use the Digital River .iso to install there is no point in doing a double install (Vista than 7). The Digital River .iso will allow you to boot from the media you created from it (USB or DVD - USB Recommended). Look at my wiki A Clean install of Windows 7, you should install Windows 7 but don't input the product key and select skip when prompted to enter the product key.

The Upgrade Product Key won't work directly with product activation however if you follow the instructions in Step 11d - a small workaround using slmgr in the command prompt it will activate without an issue thus allowing for clean installation (maximal performance). As you are installing on a eligible system the workaround is perfectly valid and you will still be correctly licensed. Again it will save you time sourcing your Vista Media, Reinstalling Vista/Upgrading to 7 and prevent loss of performance from upgrading from Vista to 7.

OEM Product Key

You can also consider using the systems builder or OEM version of Windows 7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=windows+7&x=26&y=15

Its essentially identical to the retail version but cheaper and allows for clean installation. The only drawback is that it is tied to the computer it is first installed on i.e. it is non-transferrable.

Retail Product Key

You can also buy the retail full version but this is the most expensive choice.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

April 29th, 2013 12:00

Hi bilco5721,

Please refer to Dell Article 266282 which will help you create the recovery disk:

http://dell.to/RgKnOi

To download Dell DataSafe Local Backup click the link mentioned below:

http://bit.ly/jmNmZt

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

April 29th, 2013 13:00

Manshu, when trying to install Dell DataSafe Local Backup I got a message saying you need Windows 7 to do it. I have Vista so this won't work. Any other suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

As you are from the US you may fill in this online request form for Reinstallation Media and request a Reinstallation DVD.

You can use this to Reinstall Windows Vista by following my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows Vista.

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

You can likely also follow all the Steps using downloadable media from Digital River and backing up the Activation and later restoring it or inputting the product key from your COA and using phone activation. Step 1 explains the difference between the Dell OEM media and the Digital River downloadable media.

If you are going through the process of a clean installation it may be the best time to upgrade to Windows 7 which is superior to Windows Vista.

5 Posts

OK, I'll download Dell DataSafe Local Backup. I read in another post here that it doesn't work with Vista, but I'll try it.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

Hi bilco5721,

Thank you for the reply.

Please keep me posted with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

April 29th, 2013 14:00

Philip, thanks for replying. I've downloaded the PDF and will read it. I was hoping to reinstall Vista and then maybe upgrade to Windows 7. The upgrade 7 is cheaper than the full-install version. Unless you think it is best just to pay the extra $50 or so to b uy the full version of Windows 7 and do a clean install...

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 29th, 2013 17:00

"The only drawback is that it is tied to the computer it is first installed on i.e. it is non-transferrable."

Technically, the system builder/OEM version of Windows 7 is not intended for self-built/upgraded systems.  Microsoft says that the OEM version is to be installed on a new, non-licensed PC, sold to another party and not for "hobbyists" installing their own OS.  I'm not trying to persuade you to purchase the more expensive Retail version - and I'd wager that a very small percentage of people who should be using Retail media actually do (I don't myself spend any more money than I need to) - just pointing out a technicality for information purposes.

5 Posts

April 29th, 2013 17:00

Thanks for all the info, Philip. I'll buy the OEM version of Windows 7 and do a clean install.

August 28th, 2013 20:00

Why is this tagged as a 'Verified Answer' when it has nothing to do with the question asked?  The person wants to know how to reinstall Vista, not how to upgrade to Windows 7.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 29th, 2013 05:00

bilco5721 the person who asked the question marked it as a verified answer as the discussion lead to clean installation of Windows 7 opposed to reinstallation of Windows Vista.

The Windows Reinstallation Guide instructs you how to Clean install Windows Vista in addition to Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

No Events found!