Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2007 20:00

How do you use DSRFIX?

Okay,

So I want to do a fresh install of my OS... however I want to set it back via the restore then upgrade to vista (So I don't loose the partition info that came with the laptop...)

Now, I have gone to the site that has the DSRFIX files on it, downloaded what I think is the right one for me...

copied the DSRFIX file to my CD and tried to boot from the CD...

Which is what I understand is the correct way to go about this....

However it just loads to windows...

I even tried to load safemode with dos promt and can't get it to do anything that way...

can someone speak in english (I'm not computer stupid, but just don't get this), how I am supposed to use the DSRFIX?

TY....

4.4K Posts

March 25th, 2007 20:00

72 Posts

March 25th, 2007 21:00

More FRENCH!

I got the link, read the site and guess I can't read french or german... whatever language it's written in...

I click the link---

click --- inside dell PC-restore....

click --- troubelshooting the restore process

click and download this --- www.goodells.net/dellrestore/files/dsrfix.zip

put the DSRFIX.txt on a CD disk....

Now what??? I can't get it to do anything...

am I doing something wrong? or does it not work?

12.7K Posts

March 25th, 2007 23:00

Enter the bios and set the cd/dvd rom to the first boot device. save changes and exit, now try to boot from the cd.

72 Posts

March 26th, 2007 00:00

I figured the other way would boot from the disk first but I will give it a try...

Last question...

is it possible to backup the "hidden" partition on a portable hard drive?

I have a 100gb USB 2 hard drive and would love to be able to back up that hidden part so if I ever have issues, I could boot from that...?

12.7K Posts

March 26th, 2007 00:00

Even if you could, the hidden partition is not bootable.

I use Acronis software to image the entire hard drive, all partitions.

72 Posts

March 26th, 2007 01:00

I got into the dos promt and did the dsrfix deal... However, it tells me that it can't repair it...

I do d:/dsrfix /f

and it comes up with an error code and says that the partition is not there...

Not sure if this would be the cause... but I did a disk clean up via "my computer" and properties...

then clicked disk clean up....

there was a 2 gb part that said "windows set up files" figured what the heck... and removed them...

well... I'm thinking this must be what is causing it to tell me I can't???

I think I will simply boot back with the OS disk that came with it... not what I wanted to do, but oh well...

Wish I had a way to get that partition back... :smileysad:

935 Posts

March 26th, 2007 17:00

Unfortunately, if you removed/deleted the files, you're out of luck.

Message Edited by keithg2 on 03-26-2007 02:09 PM

72 Posts

March 26th, 2007 18:00

Just spent 20 minutes trying to find your post you made...

Phew... this was changed...

Okay.. so you so, that doing a disk clean removes the ability to use thr DSRFIX file and restore to XP via the CTRL - F11 option???

I give up... guess I will simply do a clean install of Vista tonight...

keithg2 wrote:
Unfortunately, if you removed/deleted the files, you're out of luck.

Message Edited by keithg2 on 03-26-2007 02:09 PM

935 Posts

March 26th, 2007 19:00

I was going to walk you through what I did using DSRFIX. I've used that utility many times successfully. I also helped the author get it to work with RAID 1.

Anyway, if your DellRestore partition is deleted, then DSRFIX will not do you any good. You wrote the following which appears you no longer have your DellRestore partition.

jeredsbus wrote:
I got into the dos promt and did the dsrfix deal... However, it tells me that it can't repair it...

I do d:/dsrfix /f

and it comes up with an error code and says that the partition is not there...

Not sure if this would be the cause... but I did a disk clean up via "my computer" and properties...

then clicked disk clean up....

there was a 2 gb part that said "windows set up files" figured what the heck... and removed them...

well... I'm thinking this must be what is causing it to tell me I can't???

I think I will simply boot back with the OS disk that came with it... not what I wanted to do, but oh well...

Wish I had a way to get that partition back... :smileysad:

Not knowing what was originally shipped for your system, it's hard to know how I can help. :)

My XPS 400 came with:
 DellUtility Primary partition
 C: XP Primary partition
 D: Backups (DataSafe) Primary partition
 DellRestore Primary partition.

I change the above to:
 DellUtility Primary partition
 C: XP Primary partition
 Extended Primary partition
   D: Vista Logical partition
   E: Storage Logical partition
 DellRestore Primary partition

When  I resized C: and deleted D: then created a Extended Primary partition from the freespace, I created 2 logical partitions (D: and E: ). I installed Vista on D: which rewrote the MBR, disabling the CTRL-F11 feature. The DellRestore paritition was still intact and all the files were still there. I used DSRFIX to restore the Dell MBR which re-enabled the CTRL-F11 feature. Since my system had 4 primary partitions, I had to run DSRFIX with the /PBR4 parameter so it recognized that my DellRestore was the 4th primary partition. I ran DSRFIX /PBR4 /f and answered 'Y' to the prompts to fix and write the fixes to the MBR.

I doubt the above helps you if you no longer have your Dell factory restore partition, assuming you deleted it, unknowingly. :)

Message Edited by keithg2 on 03-26-2007 03:37 PM

72 Posts

March 26th, 2007 22:00

It's all good...

I know the partition was good, but didn't feel like trying to figure it out anymore and did a clean install of Vista... :smileyvery-happy: works so far...

1 Rookie

• 

106 Posts

December 6th, 2007 00:00

I can't get it to work in RAID 1 on my 720. Any pointers?
No Events found!