Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2005 13:00

How to Remove Dell and Windows Updates Alert from Startup

I've used msconfig, but can't identify the proper files for Windows Update Alerts or Dell Support Alerts. I'd actually prefer to remove Dell Alerts if someone can tell me how to find it. I don't mean to be disrespectful since this is the Dell board, but the alerts that popup aren't even new and I prefer to consult Dell support directly when I have a specific issue. Thank you

11 Posts

January 31st, 2005 13:00

Go to Start|Control Panel|Add or Remove Programs and uninstall Dell Support.

This will remove the "NotifyAlert"

4.4K Posts

January 31st, 2005 21:00

For Windows updates alerts, you can disable Automatic update; control panel, system applet, Automatic updates tab, check the button 'turn off automatic updates', click apply, OK. You'll probably get a doom and gloom message, but you can ignore it. But you must then remember to check manually from time to time, from start, Windows update link. Windows updates generally come once a month (around 12th, I think), unless there is an urgent critical one (though this has not happened for several months now).

4 Posts

April 20th, 2005 11:00

I read your posted message about how to resolve the NotifyAlert messages but I am still having the same problem. when I tried to uninstall the Dell Support as you suggested the uninstaller cancels partway through the process. Do I need to be connected to the net when I remove this application?

3 Posts

April 29th, 2005 21:00

yeah, mine cancels too, any ideas?

4 Posts

May 1st, 2005 02:00

I used this advise from a member by yhe name of my_name_is_neo

" found it...  Run regedit and go to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Then delete the items that "run" that have "Dell" in them.

Neo"

this worked but you should first backup the registry. I also only deleted the run entry for the alert.

No Events found!