Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 10th, 2004 20:00

How to do turn off MSN Messenger? Dell told me to do this, but wont tell me how.

Each time I power up my system, about 30-90 seconds after the desktop loads, I get a "MSMSGS.exe" message, giving some long alphanumerical string, telling me of a memory error and that "the memory could not be read."

I have gone round and round with Dell about this. They keep sending me links of self diagnostic things to run, all that show everything is fine and nothing is wrong. Yesterday I had Dell in home support come to replace "faulty" memory.  When I told her what the problem was, she told me it is not bad memory, but that I need to edit the Windows Registry to turn off MSN Messaging, which by the way, I have never used or tinkered with.

I went back to Dell.com chat and asked how to do this. I was sent a link that I was told would explain it. It was a link to a 3rd party vendor, selling some software for $49 that dealt with modifying  Windows registries.   I dont know what else to do. 

Any help you can give will be appreciated.   Happy holidays!

35 Posts

December 10th, 2004 21:00

This is what I did to rid me of MSMessenger at Startup:

From the Start menu, click Run,  type in msconfig and click OK. That opens the System Configuration Utility. Click the Startup tab and then uncheck the msmsgs box. Next time you reboot, windows will tell you that you are running in Selective Startup and ask if you want to change this. Select select "Don't Show Me This Message on Startup" or something to this effect. If you don't, you'll get that message box each time you start Windows...

57 Posts

December 10th, 2004 21:00

One of the easiest ways I've come accross in the plugin for ad-aware. If you don't have ad-aware, download it free and use it. Its an invaluable tool for getting rid of spyware. There are also a couple of plugins you can download for it that turn off Messenger from normal operation and from Outlook Express operation with one little click. The website is www.lavasoft.com and its all free. This is what I usually tell people to use for this if they don't want to get into the guts of the OS even a little bit. I believe there is a link to the 101 tips for XP guide at www.pcstats.com that explains the other ways to turn it off including the registery values to modify.

18.8K Posts

December 10th, 2004 22:00

dennisw1167,

The instructions here are a more elegant way of getting rid of MSN Messenger than using the Startup tab of msconfig.

December 10th, 2004 23:00

sorry...had a solution for you but this message board keeps screwing up the command lines required

Later

Message Edited by Conrad on 12-10-2004 08:15 PM

No Events found!