Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2013 08:00

How to migrate a Vista hdd to a Windows 7 computer?

Hi,

I just received a new xps 8700 mini-tower with windows 7.

- Can I simply unplug the vista hdd from a optiplex 755 and add it to the new xps machine as a second hdd?

- will this automatically create a dual boot option?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 1st, 2013 06:00

No better or worse, they are still too dissimilar to count on anything, and the 9020 is much newer.  It may be able to load drivers it needs on the fly, but probably not.  You would also have to manually add Vista to Windows 7's bootloader.  Also, you still would not have the license/right to run your OEM Vista on any other computer (downgrade rights would allow you to run Vista Business only as a downgrade from Windows 7 Pro only).

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 30th, 2013 19:00

"Can I simply unplug the vista hdd from a optiplex 755 and add it to the new xps machine as a second hdd?"

Yes, but ONLY as a secondary HDD.  If you move the disk to another machine, you NO LONGER have the rights/license to use Vista.  This will NOT automatically create a dual-boot configuration (Vista will NOT be automatically added to the Windows 7 bootloader).  Vista from a 755 would also most surely not even work if you booted it in an 8700.

November 30th, 2013 23:00

Hi flash,

do you think I might have a better chance if I move the vista hdd to an Optiplex 9020 running win-7 (if I wanted to created a dual-boot configuration)?

No Events found!