Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2011 14:00

IE 9 stops responding

Vostro 260s desk pc, Win 7 machine has repeatedly had the IE 9 stop responding and the whole system locks up requiring a forced shut down with the power button.

Don't know how to find out what is causing problem. Search on the web said problem could be with MS Silverlight so I uninstalled and reinstalled but problem continues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charlie

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 19th, 2011 14:00

I doubt it is a Silverlight issue.

Could be a conflict with some other software - what else do you have installed?  Does it lock up when using Firefox or Chrome - or doing anything else besides browsing?  If so, it is likely a bad hard drive or other hardware.

October 19th, 2011 15:00

Stock machine - no other browsing software installed. Typical scenario: 4 websites open, calculator, Windows Virtual PC - Windows XP Mode and MS Outlook 2007 all running. MS Office Excel and/or Word used as needed. Work through the day and switch between one of the internet sites and the IE screen will go opaque and the cursor turns to busy circle and eventually a message the progam has stopped responding pops up but then eveything stops responding. Not even Ctrl-Alt-Del will work. I'm not sure where a software conflict may exist.  All hardware diagnostics find no fault.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 19th, 2011 17:00

Charile,

Not sure if this will help or not...

Repair IE8 (IE7) and IE9

Do you have a 64-bit system? If so, start, in search type

internet

You should see...

Use Internet Explorer that does NOT have (64-bit) after it. This has always supported flash player. There is a new release for the 64-bit version but it's unknown how well it works.

Rick

No Events found!