Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2009 15:00

INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid during XP reinstall

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 which had the hard drive wiped.  I'm not sure what process was use to wipe the drive clean because it was done without my permission (long story).  Anyway, I found the XP disk that came with the computer at the time it was purchased and went to reinstall it.  I set the boot sequence to boot from the CD drive first and also set it to OS install mode. The install process seems to start ok - it says something about checking the system or preparing for install - but then it gives me the following message:   "Line 17183 of INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invald.  Setup cannot continue".  I did some searching online and read it could be anything from bad drivers to memory problems to needing to reformat the hard drive.  I've already tested the memory and everything else using the Dell resource CD and everything seems to be working fine.  All of the solutions I've seen also assume that there is already XP installed on the system.  I have no Windows OS currently installed and I don't know how to fix this issue using DOS.  Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. 

1 Message

November 24th, 2009 02:00

I am in the same boat!

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and the 40G Seagate hard drive failed. Bought compatible replacement 60G Fujitsu. The Diagnostics CD shows no errors on all the hardware tests.

When I boot from the OS CD (Dell XP Home Edition), it sometimes comes up with INF file i386\txtsetup.sif invalid, press to Exit and no matter how many times I rerun, even if I  dont get this message, it always stops with a Blue Screen as it tries to start windows. Blue Screen says STOP C0000221 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll.

I assume this is the same problems in all cases but I am looking for all suggestions as to how to proceed. Obviously no XP on machine yet.

Thanks in advance

No Events found!