Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

April 25th, 2008 14:00

INSOLUBLE CHKDSK PROBLEM

Here's one that Dell & Microsoft Tech Support just can't get their heads round!!!!

Out Of The Box Dell Inspiron 1525, Vista Home Premium - no updates, no installs, no uninstalls, no nothing!!

Boots and re-boots perfectly, every time, EXCEPT after a scheduled CHKDSK, when it completes all its stages, no problems found, auto re-boots, bios loads, windows "guiboot" comes up and there it stays......... 

All manner of hardware & software tests undertaken and NO PROBLEMS FOUND!!

First one to crack it gets the kudos.

best,

poleaxed.

12.7K Posts

Why is a chkdsk sceduled on a brand new system? makes it sould like someone is going out of their way to cause problems..

12.1K Posts

Here is a real simple no brainer to try out that may not work, but what the heck.....

Since you just got the system, unknown why this is happening, why not try the Symantec Restore Utility to go back to the day it was sent just in case this fixes the chkdsk issue.  I know, I know, it just might revert to the same glitch, but I cannot think of anything else at the moment and I do want that kudo  :smileyvery-happy:

Vista Restore procedures

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&l=en&s =gen&docid=28C0548D825EB65DE040A68F5B2865A8&journalid=9D42756A2CC511DC8B29AF423EFDEB3D&Query =cGMrcmVzdG9yZStWaXN0YQ==&SystemID=DIM_CEL_1100&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

Message Edited by SR45 on 04-25-2008 11:23 AM

14 Posts

April 28th, 2008 07:00

Hi SR45,

I tried that, but stil has the same issue!!

12.1K Posts

April 28th, 2008 09:00

Now I am at a lost.   What has Dell done if any to solve this other then tell you to Reformat and Reinstall windows the old fashion way  ?  Perhaps the Hard drive is wacked or something ?
Message Edited by SR45 on 04-28-2008 06:41 AM

April 28th, 2008 11:00

RANT ALERT!!!

They've advised, and I've undertaken, testing this, testing that, testing the other, Vista repair from DVD, Factory Image Restore, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!!! and, lastly, returning it to Dell for further "investigation" - like I'm going to do that, and be without my laptop for who knows how long!!

As I've told them until I'm blue in the face, all reports come back A.O.K. no problems, and other than this specific issue - Windows boot-hang after, and only after, chkdsk completes - it loads and runs perfectly?? 

Now I'm no expert, but it does sound like chkdsk/Windows is waiting for something or other to happen/complete before it continues loading, so you'd think they'd offer some advice in that direction!!  Seems to me that once the Tech Support guys are presented with a problem that goes off script it's the three R's  -  REPAIR > REFORMAT> RETURN!!

If they're truly sincere about customer satisfaction, and they keep telling me and telling me they are!, then I figure they should send me a proven replacement HDD and let me take it from there!!  

1.1K Posts

April 28th, 2008 11:00

Ok, since you are at that point where you want a solution and are not afraid of messing things up as you can restore to the factory defaults.  Try this:  I found this solution on a yahoo search for VISTA checkdisk running at boot up.

I checked my registry key and it's set to the autocheck autochk * setting.  So maybe your's has the / cuasing it to run every time.

If that doesn't work, try the second option.  I assume that the G: should be C: as my G: drive is a removable memory stick drive.  So where it says G: put C: as that is your Hard Drive to be checked.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
Change the BootExecute entry from:
autocheck autochk * /.
To:
autocheck autochk *
Or else try this :
Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in “CMD” and type ” fsutil dirty query g: “. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type “CHKNTFS /X G:”. The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive (G) on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing “Chkdsk /f /r g:”. This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type “fsutil dirty query g:” and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Remember that doing this could mess something up but if you are at your wits end and don't care, it's worth a shot.  I guess the only bad ending could be you have to reinstall VISTA from the beginning, but if this works, you have saved several headaches.

Message Edited by eskymi on 04-28-2008 08:41 AM
Message Edited by eskymi on 04-28-2008 08:44 AM

14 Posts

April 30th, 2008 09:00

Hi eskymi,

It's not that Windows keeps running chkdsk at start-up, just that it won't auto-reboot after I schedule a chkdsk.

Anyway, I've tried all you advise that to no avail I'#m afraid!

1.1K Posts

April 30th, 2008 12:00

Poleaxed,

Sorry about that.  I really mis-read the  post.  I wished it would have worked anyway.

Eskymi 

No Events found!