Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2017 07:00

Inconsistency on lid opening 9560

My new 9560 exhibits inconsistent behavior upon lid opening. I have it configured to sleep when the lid is closed so I assume that is what it does. The computer should awaken immediately on opening and present the login screen and that is what happens when it has been left for short periods. However, when left for longer periods like overnight, the system appears to restart when the lid is opened. I don't know if it's coming out of hibernation or rebooting but it isn't simply waking up from the sleep state like it does after being left for a short period of time. Sometimes nothing happens when the lid is opened and I have to press the power button. Any thoughts on why this is happening? The system appears to be losing sleep status after being left for longer periods. Could this be a symptom of a hardware issue? It does this whether it's on charge or not.

19 Posts

May 5th, 2017 05:00

I figured it out. The Sleep settings under Advanced Power settings were set to Hibernate after 180 minutes. I checked my other laptop and it was set to Never. I did not check this first because I didn't even know it was there. This explains why the Apps are all still open after waking the machine up (which would not be the case if the machine had been shutting down overnight). Anyway, problem solved.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 4th, 2017 14:00

It sounds like your usage overnight is causing it to reach a heat level forcing it to turn off. Note, Sleep and Hibernate are two different power modes. You need to find out which one you are actually using.

On my laptops (Latitude E7240, Studio 1747, Alienware 18-R1), I do not use either. I have them disabled. I always have them plugged into the AC adapter. When I walk away from the laptop, the only powersave option is to turn the LCD off after 5 minutes. At the end of the work day, I save my data and close all applications. I then turn the laptops off (Click the Start button and then select Power > Shut down.).

Sleep -
The more apps you leave running, the more Windows has to save when put into sleep mode. Leaving a laptop in sleep all night is not good. Short intervals, fine, but it should be turned off overnight. Microsoft states, "Use sleep when you’re going to be away from your PC for just a little while—like when you’re taking a coffee break.".

Hibernation (which I also do NOT use) -
According to Microsoft, "Use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop or tablet for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.".

19 Posts

May 4th, 2017 15:00

Thanks. Interesting. The machine is configured to sleep after 15 minutes on battery and 30 minutes on charge. No Hibernation. Those are the Dell defaults and I haven't changed them. I didn't know that sleep mode was not recommended for extended time periods and I have always left my laptops in sleep mode overnight without this happening. My wife's Sony sleeps through the night with no problem. That said, I will heed your advice. It's not a big deal to shut down and re-start in the morning. I was concerned there might be a problem with the hardware.

No Events found!