Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2015 11:00

Inspiron 14-5447 windows 8.1/windows 7 dual-uefi issues

I recently purchased Inspiron 14-5447 which came with pre installed windows 8.1 but I want to install windows 7 (64 bit)along with windows 8.1in that machine, as my mom is comfortable with windows 7. I tried to install with legacy boot (USB) it showed error message that windows 7 can't be installed in gpt partition and when i tried to install with uefi boot with secure boot turned off (USB bootable created with rufus for uefi booting) the installed hanged/freezed at windows 7 starting logo. can somebody help me to install windows 7 in that laptop.

Technology should be simple so that even a lay man can use it and I was shocked to see that dell has made even installation of os in a laptop so tough that even a pro can get baffled and that too just promote windows 8.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 17th, 2015 09:00

The problem is that Win 7 needs to be installed before windows 8 to dual boot and that doesn't work well and might void your warranty. There might be severe driver problems. Dual Boot would confuse her more.

Here's what you can do for her--change the boot settings to skip the Start screen and go directly to the Desktop which is very similar to win 7 with a few improvements. Right click on the Taskbar, choose Properties and make changes on the tabs such as Always go to the Desktop when starting. She never has to use the apps, Charms or the Tiles on the Start Screen. Make shortcuts on the Desktop just like windows 7. Right click on the Desktop and select Show Desktop Icons and choose what you want to show and then add your own.

Be sure to make all the Recovery Disks and System Images because Win 8 doesn't come with reinstall media.

This is not Dell's doing--it is Microsoft's. Windows 7 does not have Microsoft's Mainstream Support any longer. When Windows 10 comes out later in the year, you can upgrade for free. It is much more user friendly.

No Events found!