Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2017 01:00

Inspiron 15 5000 - "just a minute"

Hello everyone,

yesterday evening I turned on my new inspiron 15 5000 and started configurating it. I inserted my old hotmail address when asked for a Microsoft account; later on I was asked an email account in order for windows to send me information about antivirus and other stuff. I changed the Microsoft address with a Gmail one which I normally use.

Suddenly a message popped up, saying an error occurred and the laptop would restart soon. It did and showed the famous message "just a minute" with a blue background. I thought the laptop needed time to charge all the applied changes, but that was 12 hours ago and it still shows the message. Should I leave it operating or switch off the laptop? And most importantly, is my laptop showing a serious problem?

I hope this is the right part of the forum and this is not a silly question - but i couldn't find any solution for this.

Thank you for your help.

Giulia

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 10th, 2017 06:00

The only time Microsoft asked me for an e-mail address was to verify the computer.  It would show part of your address and ask you to enter it correctly to receive a code.  If that is what was happening, it should have asked for a different the correct address but I have not experienced such a situation.

A window will also pop up from Dell asking you to register software like McAfee and automatic downloads.

Is your system connected to the internet?  It should not take long for the system to finish what it needs to do unless it is waiting for something.  If your system is on the internet, you might try taking it off to see if it will continue.  After you feel you have waited a sufficient time, of course.

3 Posts

January 10th, 2017 06:00

Thank you @Saltgrass for your answer. I didn't have to insert any code so that was different from your experience. Firstly, i was asked for a Microsoft account; later on, for a generic email address to register an anti-virus like McAfee. And that's where the laptop restarted. It was correctly connected to Wifi. I will shut it down when I get home and hit back :)

3 Posts

January 11th, 2017 01:00

Talking with some friends I found out it is most likely a problem connected to Windows 10, I guess. I will try to fix it myself

No Events found!