Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2015 09:00

Inspiron 15 5100 - I am having trouble instaling Win 7 on my new machine because of missing drivers.

I have just bought a new Inspiron 15 5100 with running Ubuntu with the plan of installing Win 7 which I have a DVD for.

I found that my new machine has no DVD drive so I made a USB with the Win 7 .iso

I have wiped the hard drive, created new partition, fixed MBR and am getting to a point in the Win 7 installation process where it is asking me for missing device drivers. I have downloaded all drivers on Dell.com for my machine and put on another USB stick but I cannot browse to them during the installation process. So I don't even know if I have the required drivers or not.

Can anyone help please? I'm sure someone else has successfully installed Win 7 over an Ubuntu installation. If so please let me know if you had similar problems and how you got past them.

Please help if you have. Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 30th, 2015 17:00

So there are Windows 7 Drivers but they only work with DELL's own Windows 7 image.

None of Dell's drivers are locked to only their image. To Dell's credit, except for a little branding and OEM activation, their Windows 7 (DVD) image is not really specialized at all. No drivers, nothing.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 30th, 2015 19:00

iee-488

Check out the following 15 3552 Drivers page and change OS

see - www.dell.com/.../drivers

see point 8 - www.dell.com/.../EN

I am not sure what you are trying to prove with those links.

The drivers change when the OS changes. DUH.

There are different drivers for different models of Dell PCs because of different hardware. DUH.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 30th, 2015 19:00

Hi ieee488

Goto - www.dell.com/.../drivers;l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

then click on CHANGE OS (in blue) just under Service Tag box and you get "View all available updates for Windows 7, 64-bit."

So there are Windows 7 Drivers but they only work with DELL's own Windows 7 image.

It is not so. You have no clue what you are talking about.

I have had a Dell laptop which originally had Vista Business installed. Then I installed Windows 7 Pro over it. Then I added Ubuntu 12.04 for a dual-boot. Then I removed Windows 7 Pro. Then added Linux Mint 17.3

All without issues.

1 Message

March 30th, 2016 04:00

Hello

Especially for Inspiron 15 3552, problem is windows 7 does not have intel usb 3.0 driver built in.

This is why you can not see any usb when browsing for media.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-8-9-100-Series-and-C220-C610-Chipset-Family

you have 2 solutions

1:  take out hdd and put it on another computer, start the windows setup there untill it asks for restart, then switch computers. At the end, just uninstall pci bus from system devices.

2: with hdd out, create a partition , unzip/extract all needed drivers so it will be handy. Then setup windows as needed.

With windows 8 and up there is usb 3.0 built in so it works.

Hope this info helps.

2 Posts

June 30th, 2019 19:00

BTW for those running into this issue in 2019 or later. There's a much easier fix. Insert the USB Drive into the right side USB ports that are not USB 3.0, and the installation works

2 Posts

June 30th, 2019 19:00

I know this is old, but my 3552 came with windows 7. So it's not that the laptop can't have win 7 installed like someone said before

No Events found!